ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abdominal Separation
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:49 pm 
former lurker

I just had twins by c-section about 5 months ago. I have been waiting for my stomach to shrink but am beginning to feel that something is wrong. Rather than flabby, my stomach is hard, and looks like a small mound on circling my belly button. I feel like I look 2-3 months pregnant. I went to the doctor and they did a sonogram to make sure everything was ok and it was. I researched a lot and found (on this webiste too) that there is a condition called abdominal separation. I did the test found on BeFit-Mom and found that I do have some separation. It only seems to be separated by one finger so I am hoping that is good news. Now that it is 5 months past my delivery, is it too late for me to train these muscles to go back? Luckily, I hadn't done any crunches or other stomach exercises that would worsen my condition... but I really want to know what I can do to flatten my stomach. I have started with the stomach vacuum excercise but I want to make sure there isn't anything else I could be doing. Do people find that surgery is the only answer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keep doing the stomach vacuums but no other ab exercise. You should do machine exercises so as not to involve the abs too much. Surgery should not be needed. Keep working on doing more stomach vacuums. Also be careful about how you move around too. Keeping your stomach kind of sucked in a little and walking with good posture helps. You should never just let your gut hang loose. Losing weight will help if you are overweight. Excess fat on the belly will pull on your abs. The less you have the better. Keep in mind it can take a little time to return to normal. Just keep doing the vacuums and let us know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:23 pm 
former lurker

Thank you for responding and confirming that the stomach vacuum is the way to go. I understand not doing other abdominal related exercises but does that also mean no cardio? Can I ride a spinning bike, walk or jog? Also, regarding your comment about losing weight... I was not overweight prior to pregnancy and (believe it or not) had dropped to my prepregnancy weight as soon as I returned from the hospital. It was ALL in my belly and now the rest of my body is in good shape. Would you still suggest losing weight? Could I have just gained some excess weight in my midesection as well as separating the abs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The weight loss comment was only if you are overweight. If you aren't overweight then there is no need to worry about that. I wouldn't do anything high impact that will jiggle your belly around a lot. Any other cardio should be ok.