ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strength Index
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:36 pm 
former lurker

I am looking for a formula to calculate ones stregnth index. I know it involves 3 reps, exact body weight, and some sort of computation. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. We would like to do it as a safer method of 1 rep max.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/orm.htm

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

http://www.joeskopec.com/repmax.html

http://patriot.net/~tvalesky/1rm.html

http://www.muscletech.com/CALCULATORS/O ... _max.shtml

these should help out.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:46 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Scott, all good links, but I got the impression he was looking for some type of index that you could measure a person's relative strength/wt to another person's of a different weight. I know the PL types use various formulas to do this with to determine a "best lifter", and there should be some around, probably at deepsquatter.com or other PL sites.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:03 am 
former lurker

Thanks guys. What I am looking for is something where you take the wight of the person, and the 3 1RM for the bench, squat, and deadlift... compute it somehow and get a strength index number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:51 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

CoachBR wrote:
Thanks guys. What I am looking for is something where you take the wight of the person, and the 3 1RM for the bench, squat, and deadlift... compute it somehow and get a strength index number.

Why are you looking for something like that? And what do you think it is going to tell you? And how did you come up with using one's 3RM max?

As Tim mentioned, there is a powerlifting formula that can be used to compare lifters of different bodyweight to see who is the best.

The Wilk's formula is one used. http://www.usapowerlifting.com/liftersc ... -men.shtml

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:16 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I found something similar on this site that I found kind of interesting.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifti ... ndards.htm

According to these charts, at ~220 lbs, I'm "Advanced" for Press (Military Press) and Bench Press, but only "Intermediate" for the Squat and Deadlift. I don't know what I'd be for the Clean, since I've never been able to do cleans with proper form (always end up doing either a cheating reverse curl or a sloppy upright row with a bad catch).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

Im sitting at between advanced and elite on all lifts except the clean, I have no coordianation with that lift, putting me at novice according to the exrx site.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:28 pm 

Scott and Matt, yall aint a novice in any lift unless it is a one legged Swiss ball safety snatch press squat modifed with a reverse slip row. Isn't that what all the personal trainers are teaching these days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

Lol, I guess, Im just not into this "new age" training.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Of course you have to have that in a giant set with swiss ball alternating supinated dumbbell press with 1 foot on the floor and the other in your mouth, jumping jacks, Jumping from side to side on and off a calf block and a 1 arm dumbbell hammer grip clean and jerk to an arnold press to a lateral raise to supinated front raise standing on 1 foot on a bosu ball with your other leg up at 90 degrees and your opposite hand juggling a pair of pink polka-dot neuticles.

After that you can do lunges but only if you are so out of shape that you almost fall over with every step. If you are in better shape and can do lunges you either have to do them with 5 pound dumbbell curls at the same time or just skip them for some swiss ball crunches and then flail your legs around in a random way.

Then the next part is easy, you do 5 sets of 20 reps with just the first plate on every isolation pulley machine in the entire gym, except the thigh machine, where you must do 10 sets of each. Then follow that up with a few hundred crunches unless you're too fat in which case you just do 10 sets of 50 with 1 plate on an ab machine. Then you finish it off by doing the hamster dance in fat burning zone.

Then you follow that up with a package of rice cakes, half a box of low fat snackwells, half a bottle of diet pills and wash it down with low fat antioxident fortified fruit juice. You have to be good to make up for all the pizza you ate at work, and the brownies your friend in accounting brought in, but hey you had low fat cap'in crunch for breakfast and a nutrigrain bar instead of a snickers, so all the pizza doesn't count anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:18 am 

What about the green tea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:33 am 

Don't forget the ballerina quarter squats with the toes turned out 180-degrees (performed with a cardio bar of course) and the bodyweight calf raises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

throws hands up and walks off

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:36 am 

Most importantly, perform all free-weight exercises, from presses and rows to kickbacks and laterals, circut style with the same pair of pink, 3 lb dumbbells. Don't move up to the purple, 5 lb dumbbells until you can perform 123 reps on your weakest exercise.