Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Workout change-up
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:33 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi everyone.

Been doing a 4-day split, push/pull workout for about a month and a half. Was just wondering if it would be a good idea to change up my workout to say a full body routine for a while, to shock my body?

Thanks,
Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

Change up is good if you are not making progress. If you are still making gains, I would not be in a big hurry to change it though. Some people like to change while the body is still gaining on an old program, but I feel that too quick of a change can be just as conter productive as not changing at all. It ulitmately comes down to you if you feel you need a change or not.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:49 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Also there are other variables you can play around with if your workouts are getting stale. For example, you can cycle back and forth between high and low-rep sets, or alternate light and heavy workouts/weeks. Likewise, you might try modifying an exercise by changing the stance or grip rather than raplacing it completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:13 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses.

Also want to ask another question. What is everyone's opinion on working out a body part once a week? Like chest/biceps one day and so on...
I've only been working out consistently for aprox 4-5 months, and was wondering if this type of workout is geared towards more advance lifters?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions, appreciate the help!!

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yes the muscle split routine is geared for the advanced lifters because we have the abilty to apply more intensity per muscle group than beginners (0-12 monhts). Intermediate lifters ( 6-18 months) can usually look for a moderated upper/lower split to give themselves a beginning level muscle specific workout to gear up for the more advanced major muscle group split. Depending on how advanced an intermediate lifter is ( 18-24 months), they can start looking at a muscle split routine if they feel they are ready for one.

If you notice, I leave an overlap of about six months in each level becuase some people advance more rapidly than others by various means and reasons. each level can be split into three sub-catagories ( beginner, intermediate and advanced) and three main catagories.....beignner, intermediate beginner and advanced beginner, so on and so forth up the ladder with the other two main catagories.

The main reason for not advancing too quickly is that the more advanced you get, the more specific you train....and the more isolation moves you place in yoru workout, as well as supersets, drop sets, negatives, forced reps, ect. Lower level trainers should not worry too much about isolation moves, and should stick to the bulk of compound movements to get the most out of their workouts, working on form, progression up the weights and learning how their body works and the exercises applied to it (what works best and what does not).

Ive seen too many people jump in over their heads with advanced routines and get nowhere because their body is not matured enough in lifting to handle them. I was one of them the first year of my lifting life in my late teens. Monkey see, monkey do, the basic gym rat mentallity.....bench , curl, bench curl, bench, curl maybe legs and some back if I felt like it. Clear as mud? lol

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:35 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks Scott.

That’s what I thought, just wanted to make sure before I jumped into anything to advanced and screw myself over :)

I'll probably go back to a full body routine 3-4 times a week concentrating on compound moves with a couple iso. Was previously doing a push/pull 2-day split

Anthony