ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:23 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Should I avoid doing dips with weights around waist or with wearing a weighted vest since it puts too much stress on the elbows and shoulders since I have heard this comment at the gym so wanted to check what everyone thought of this

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:51 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

I think weighte dips are among one of the best strength developers around, as well as being a good all around movement in general for the upper body. I keep hearing these "don't do them" comments. What you should hear is this: be cautious when learning them. Gointo the bottom position fair slowly under utmost control, and don't go down any further than ht your ROM (range of motion)comfortably allows. You can ease down lower as your flexibility improves, and may also need to experiment with the width of your hand placement .
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

I agree with Tim. Any exercise is dangerous if you do them wrong. Dont be scared to do it unless you personally have a bad experience. Most "gymrats" dont have the experience to do or show people how to do things properly and when they get hurt, they dont realize that they screwed up, not the exercise that caused the injury. Start out light and work your way up.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:26 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dips seem to hit my shoulders (front deltoids) harder than anything. I'm not exactly sure why. I am using one of those lifted chair/dip things. Is it because I go down too far? I figure it should hit my chest more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:12 am 

Try using some lean, i.e. your trunk should NOT be vertical, and try flaring your arms out a bit.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:43 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

It could also be the width of your grip, since dipping with a narrow grip will empasize front delts and triceps more than a wider grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:06 am 

Just wanted to add...

They put a lot of stress on your shoulders. If you have healthy shoulders and perform the exercise correctly you won't have any problems.

If you feel anything unusual then be catious, if it's definitly the dips causing it, then stop. Everyone is built slightly differently so not everyone can perform the same exercises as everyone else.

So basically, make sure you are doing it correctly, if all feels good, then your on to a winner because it's a fantastic exercise.

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:53 pm 
n00b
n00b

mate if u can do 20-30 full dips (there are 2 types of main dips - for chest wide grip leaning forward - or tricpes straight) with no assistance - (i am been training again after a long lay off and doing it on an assissted machine) - then u are tuff enuf to add weights.

Its all about proper form and slowness - maybe using a wight of 100kg extra is too much :-) but if the added weight is 20-30kg and u progress well I doubt that it causes damage as a matter of natural course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:12 am 

I think the OP was asking more about 'joint health' than weight progression.

I really just wanted to add that in training, there is very rarely a black or white answer, you should generally always get answers starting with "it depends on.." or "maybe".

And techinically, if you can do 4 reps with your body weight, you could do around 1-2 reps with an extra 5-10 (ish!) pounds hanging from you. Not that there would be any real benefit in that but I just wanted to emphasise that aren't many numbers like that. Also remember that if your goal is strength or size, it's pretty safe to say that your waisting valuable energy doing 20-30 reps of anything.

This is coming from someone (me) who has followed alot of flawed advice and paid the price - cookie cutter programs (see flex mag), one universal rep range (8-10 reps on everything and anything), and most of all, the attitude that I can just train through niggling injurys.

Just concentrate on form and make sure you don't ignore unusual pain - use your common sense.

KP