ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wrist exercises
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:07 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi, I am trying to get thicker wrists. I do the wrist rollers in both directions, I have some hand grips, but for pronation and supination I couldn't find something that I could do so I got a heavy baton type thing and tried twisting one way and then torque-ing it back the other way. I was slightly concerned that this would prove damaging to my wrists but I thought it seemed like a fairly natural thing to do so I went with it. My wrists (forearms, rather) have never been more sore, but I can't say for sure it is unhealthy soreness. It's possible I just never worked my wrists in that way before. Would this kind of activity be recommended? Is there something else I could do that is a more slow and controlled wrist twisting exercise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just do wrist curls and reverse wrist curls with dumbbells. However the muscles that control that are further down in the forarms. So your wrists aren't really going to get thicker. One of each and some finger curls for grip should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:47 pm 

I found that when i started to do grip work, my forearms and wrists started to thicken up more than when i did direct wrist/forearm work dictated by traditional booby-building routines.

here is a list of grip stuff i employ:

-thick handled barbell/dumbell work
-sandbag work - any barbell movement using a sandbag where you "pinch the fabric of the back to grip the bag.
-wrist roller with thick handles and/or using a 4x4 post for the roller instead of a bar/pipe
-farmers walks - thick or regular handles
-static holds, sandbags (pinch grip on fabric), using a 4x4 post as a pinch block and weight suspended from it
-any lifts or holds where you are pinching plates together (OR using patio stones - my personal preference. You can do this outside and generally no one cares if you drop them in the grass/mud and it saves wear and tear on your floor).

-Hoister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:17 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I also like Reverse Curls using an EZ-curl bar. These fall midway between Hammer Curls and regular Reverse Curls (straight bar), so they're good for targeting the Brachiordialis, Brachialis and Wrist Extensors. Plus the EZ-curl bar seems (for me at least) to place a lot less stress on the wrist than a straight barbell.