ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liver Damage
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:37 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hello, I drink 1l of milk during and after my workout, but my mother was getting mad at me. She thinks that I'd get liver damage because I am drinking so much milk, is this truth?
And if it is should I get protein powder?
BTW, is it normal/bad that the inner eyewhite has got a light yellow color? I think I got it last year with my very unhealthy weight loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:47 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I've never heard of anyone getting liver damage from milk (in any amount). Also, I've been drinking more than a liter a day since childhood, so I think your pretty safe.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure that eyewhites turning yellow is a sign of jaundice. Try looking it up (hope I spelled it right).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know people who drink that much milk and it has not harmed them. There is nothing in milk that will damage your liver.

Now if your mother gets milk mixed up with Wild Turkey, that might be what's up. a Liter a day of that will damage your liver eventually.

Post subject: Re: Liver Damage
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Wouter wrote:
Hello, I drink 1l of milk during and after my workout, but my mother was getting mad at me. She thinks that I'd get liver damage because I am drinking so much milk, is this truth?
And if it is should I get protein powder?
BTW, is it normal/bad that the inner eyewhite has got a light yellow color? I think I got it last year with my very unhealthy weight loss.

AHHH this post is pure gold.

Your mom is right. Just like any mineral or nutrient, there is an upper intake limit for calcium. Too much will cause deficiencies in other minerals and will totally mess up your kidneys (not so much your liver, people tend to get the two mixed up). Two liters of milk per day is probably over the UL for calcium (2500 mg) so you should definitely cut it down to at most 1 liter per day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually the theory is that calcium is leached from bone when the blood is too acidic for the kidneys. I've never even heard someone state that too much calcium does that until now. It all sounds like a heaping helping of bu11$h!t to me. If this was true all the idiots that take calcium without the other needed vitamins would have kidney stones instead of osteoporosis.

Everything but low fat snackwells are suppose to be bad for my kidneys. By some miracle my kidney function is always very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:02 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Thought that I would toss this into the mix:

Quote:
It was cardiologist Dr. Stephen Seely who in wrote, in his treatise entitled "Is calcium excess in western diet a major cause of arterial disease? published in the International Journal of Cardiology in 1991, that excess calcium intake is a major cause of atherosclerosis in Western countries.

He contended that young adults need only 300–400 mg of calcium daily, and older adults need even less. In countries where the daily calcium intake is 200–400 mg, arterial diseases are non-existent and blood pressure does not increase with age.

Dr. Seely said, in countries where the daily calcium intake is 800 milligrams (USA, New Zealand, Scandinavian countries, Ireland), arterial disease is the leading cause of mortality. Dr. Seely pointed out that cholesterol only represents 3% of arterial plaque, while calcium makes up 50%. [International Journal Cardiology 1991 Nov; 33 (2):191–8]

Don’t think the American Heart Association (AHA) isn’t paying attention. After six years of debate, the AHA has finally approved CT scanning for arterial calcifications for high-risk individuals. Just a few years ago the AHA dismissed the use of CT scanning for any reason, so this is a big change.

The accumulation of calcium plaque in coronary arteries continues despite aggressive cholesterol reduction (–53% LDL cholesterol) with a statin drug. [Heart 2006; 92:1207–1212]

---Edit Note: I've deleted the pitch for the rice bran---

The source web site that the article appears is suspect to me, but the article itself does give food for thought.

Last edited by Stephen Johnson on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:37 pm 

If you fallow the Paleo diet, you learn that it's not so much how much calcium you take in but how much you retain. A highly acidic diet will draw calcium out of the body. The modern western diet includes lots of grains which are acidic. Vegetables and fruits counter that to some extent. The Paleo diet includes no grains of dairy.