ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starvin Marvin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:23 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I'm starting to worry about my friend Will. About 3 or 4 months ago he decided he needed to lose a little weight and get in shape, so he started running and went on a diet. Anyway, the running didn't last long, but the diet did. So far he's lost 80 lbs (much of it muscle), and although he'd now down to 140 lbs at 5'9", he shows no signs of stopping. He claims he's on Atkins, since he cut out all starchy carbs, but he only eats one small-to-medium sized meal a day. For a while, he was even talking about juice fasting (going 10 or 20 days on nothing but juice and water).

Meanwhile, he doesn't care about athletic performance, fitness or even his health. All he wants is to look "cut" without spending a lot (or any) time in the gym. I tell him all the time that he's never going to look muscular without working out, and tease him about being skinny, but he doesn't want to listen to me.

Last edited by Matt Z on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:27 am 

PS.) "Starvin Marvin" is a minor character from two episodes of South Park. Those familiar with the show should get the reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:40 am 

Ordinarilly, I don't tease people about their weight/looks, but Will is extrordinarilly vain. His rolemodel is Usher,the pop singer, and, by his own admition, being "man-pretty" is more important to him than being strong, athletic and functional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:48 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Sounds like he has an eating disorder. Anorexia and Bullemia come to mind. It normally effects girls, but I've seen before in HS and College with wrestlers and boxers. They get so into "making weight" that they do crazy stuff. At least these guys worked out, and a lot.You really can't force anything on him, so the teasing probably won't work. Just hope he comes to his senses and sees the light. Moderation and proportion are key in any dieting program. BTW, I have nothing at all against Atkins, but a major point about it is that after you've dropped a lot of weight, you start adding fibous carbs (veg) and fruit back in, and even , albeit sparingly, some whole grains and legumes. A lot of people overlook this maint phase and think Atkins is all meat and fat.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:56 am 

That's what worries me, especially since he doesn't seem to see himself the way other people do. With his height and build 140 lbs is very thin, but he still wants to lose another 10-20 lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:30 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I've had basically the same problem last summer, even though it was less extreme. I saw myself eating right and doing cardio properly. But I actually only lost muscles and a small amount of fat (skinny-fat look).
If you want to know some numbers: last summer I was 143 lbs (65 kg) at 183cm (around 6 feet) now I'm weighing 171 lbs(78 kg) . I really needed to gain some weight because really I had no power at all (except in my legs). I've gotten my switcht to gain back weight by seeing a few guys who were really ripped and muscular.

You could give him a picture of himself to let him see how skinny he actually is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:33 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

"Starving Marvin", at 5'9" and 140 pounds has a body mass index of 20.7 This is on the low end of average weight (18.5 - 24.9 is the range for average weight). If he went below 125 pounds, Will would be officially underweight.

I agree with TimD - you can't control the behavior of another adult (The assumption, correct me if wrong, is that he is an adult). And I suspect that his weight issue has worked its way into the manner in which Will interacts with you. It might be best for you not to give him any more feedback about his weight, and see how he reacts. Once he realizes that he isn't Usher, he might grow out of it

Last edited by Stephen Johnson on Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If he lost his weight that way he may look too thin but still have too much fat. He should know that looking good and being healthy are the same thing. Bodybuilding is how male models get themselves looking good. Most of them just don't do it for long, so they don't get that big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:52 pm 
n00b
n00b

It seems as if he is simply concerned with a number on a scale (which is usually a useless tool for those wanting to look healthy and fit) and he will eventually run into major problems. He will either get himself really sick with this eating disorder, and/or he will run his metabolism so low by cutting calories and losing muscle that when he decides death by starvation is no way to go, his body he will springboard right back up in weight and possibly pack on more pounds than he ever has. His body will actually plan for another bout of starvation and store as much fat as possible. If he truly wants to even look good, he needs to eat right and work hard...period. A buddy of mine use to train for Marathons and weighed about 190. He was running all the time and eating pretty good. Now he eats 5 - 6 times a day, cut his cardio to no more than 30 minutes a session and lost 20 lbs. and is stronger and more cut than ever. Building muscle and eating the supportive foods often is the key to losing fat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:33 am 

This morning he ate 2 hardboiled eggs and drank a glass of orange juice. That's all he plans on eating for the rest of the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:44 am 

The strange thing is he doesn't think he's fat. He thinks he looks good, and that losing more weight will make him look even better. He says he's shooting for perfection, which I'd imagine is just shy of hospitalization.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:58 am 

KeithH has the right idea, I just don't know how you're going to convine him short of an intervention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:13 am 

I know. He's stubborn as hell. It's just frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:00 pm 
n00b
n00b

Matt Z, What is driving your buddy to this extreme form of depravation? What is it that he fears? Body fat? Flab? His actual numerical weight? I think you need to find the root of this problem and start there. I'm no phycologist but I would approach him with the fact that what ever he fears will eventually come to fruition by what he is doing to his body now. He's getting a quick fix, but the long run will be devastating to his body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:42 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Our bodies put on fat so when can go through short term anorexia. It was like that in the past: there was not always a walmart or mcdonalds to go to when we were hungry, and our bodies had to adapt to long stretches without food. So quick "Bursts" of anorexia would seem to make sense, if that is what one must do to drop a few quick pounds (not saying its healthly, but it does work). Long term anorexia is just silly though: eventually our body gets the idea and develops ways to conserve, by making us sluggish. I know this from personal experience! My advice would be to get pictures of people who are actually anorexic, and ask him if he wants to look like them!