ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

If you could have only one, which would you choose?
Peak fitness/athletic performance with moderately good looks. 63%  63%  [ 12 ]
Your ideal physical appearance with moderately good fitness/athletic performance. 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: Form vrs. Function
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:53 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

For the sake of this poll, please assume that you will live a long, healthy life reguardless of which option you choose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:24 pm 

PS.) Fitness/athletic performance should be defined according to YOUR specific fitness goals, whether they relate to a specific sport, a specific aspect of physical fitness (strength, speed, endurance, etc.), or just acheving a high level of general fitness (being a good all-around athalete).

Likewise, your ideal physical appearance is what YOU want to look like, not neccissarily what the media or the majority of people find appealing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:54 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Voted for the athletic performance. I define it as , because I'm 57, I like keeping the shoulders and posterior chain healthy and functioning. 20-30 years ago, appearance might have been a concern, but not these days. It just so happens to be a secondary thing that happily goes along naturally with strength training.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:06 am 

I'm only 25, but I still voted for function. My goals are to get as strong as possible while maintaining good all-around phisical fitness (and my health of course). Aestetics are a distant second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:14 am 

This is kind of ironic considering most of my early training was pure bodybuilding. I was a lot more into bodybuilding back then and a lot more concerned with aestetics. However, even then, I was much more interested in training than I was in the actual contests. Meanwhile, my favorite bodybuilders were always guys like Franco Columbo, who were both aestetic and strong. Plus, I always enjoyed training heavy, and I always measured my progress at least partly by how much I could lift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:39 am 

Over time my priorities have shifted however, and I'm now much more interested in what I can actually do than in what I look like. I think this is partly my reaction to the proliferation of rediculous, vain, Metro-sexual prettyboys I've witnessed in recent years. Also, I'm a lot more comfortable with myself now than I was when I was younger.

Last edited by Matt Z on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:56 am 

LMAO. I'm 35 with bad genetics and years of abuse to my body. NO ONE should have to see me with my shirt off. 5 years ago, I was 290 with a fat free mass of 161. Now I'm 280 with a fat free mass of 223. I'm still ugly as sin, but it is nice to know that, for the most part, I am the baddest mofo wherever I go. It's my trip, my ego and my motivation. I aint just fat anymore. I giggle at the metros. They stop puffing out their chests and acting big and bad and don't talk near as much when I am warming up with what they are maxing out at. All of a sudden, they get all serious. I know this is stupid and immature but I like being the alpha male almost everwhere I go. Not everywhere, mind you. There are some mighty big people at some of the gyms I visit. I guarantee exrx has some too. But then again, that's my motivation. I want to be stronger than you. I want to be stronger than I was yesterday. To hell with the way I look. You may look pretty, but I can still kick your ass.

Sorry for my rant and my ego trip. I'm not trying to be a internet Rambo, but I think the motivation for most of use here are for one of three different reasons. Either you are vain and want to look good, you are insecure and want to be better (me), or you are unhealthy and are going to die if you don't make some changes. If you say you just want to be fit, then what is the point of working out? Don't you want to be better than you were yesterday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:32 am 

Of course, if I were motivated by greed, I would still choose performance. Pro atheletes make a hell of a lot more money than male models last time I checked.

Last edited by Matt Z on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:47 am 

I'm too ugly and don't have any talent for either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:49 am 

Seriously though, I think it's a lot easier for me to stay positive when I focus on performance. I get a real sense of accomplisment every time I set a new PR, instead of dwelling on my flaws. Plus the gains I make are more real, because they're concrete and measurable. A 400 lb deadlift is a 400 lb deadlift. Aestetics on the other hand are completely subjective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:26 pm 

Hoosegow, wait till you get around my age (57). All of it starts catching up with you. Arthritus, ostwoarthritus (degenerative). I can barely walk when I roll out of bed, I have to get on the stepper and do some bar only squats to loosen everything up in order to walk comfortably, and if that means I'm working out to be fit, so be it.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:08 pm 

True, maybe you can't lift as much as you used to, but I'm willing to bet you set some pretty impressive PRs over the years, and no one can take that away from you. When I'm 80 years old, no one's going to care what I used to look like, but they might care about places I've been, things I've seen and feats I've accomplished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:49 pm 

I'm actually surprised (and perhaps a little disapointed) by the poll results so far. On this site I would have expected the majority to vote for function, but so far it's only 50/50. Also, I'm curious who voted for form and why? So far, no one from that camp has posted to elaborate.

PS.) Sorry if I'm monopolizing the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:53 pm 
former lurker

I went form. It might be surprising considering my only other post was asking how I can improve my football... but I'm an amatuer athlete. I really only want to be fit and healthy enough to be able to do the sport without being uncomfortable. To get *better* at the sport, I prefer skill based drills, you know, more hand-eye coordination, agility stuff, rather than strength and power. (The nature of my size and positions I play I guess... I also think it's because it's more showy :D)

Meanwhile, I want chicks to go 'wow' when they grab my arm, or see me with my shirt off :D

When I get older, maybe my priorities will change...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:32 am 

I guess Tim, your motivations fit into one of my three catagories. I guarantee most of us would kill to be in the shape you are in at 57. You lift and workout to maintain a quality of life. That kind of fits in my don't exercise die motivation (which is more dramatic than I intended it to be).

I'm sure my motivation will change as I mature. When I first started working out, I wanted to look good. I lost a lot of weight, but never looked good. As I matured as a biomechanic (someone who works on their body as a hobby) - ya like that word - it isn't my term- I realized I'm never going to look like Ronnie Coleman. My goals changed. Now, I want to be the biggest and strongest I can be without letting my health go to hell. I'm pretty damn proud that I am better now than I was 10 years ago. I'm better now than I was yesterday. I can see a time where my goals are going to be to maintain what I have. I'm just not there yet. I figure I have 5 - 10 years of potential left and then things start going down hill.