ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

If you could have only one, which would you choose?
Peak fitness/athletic performance with moderately good looks. 63%  63%  [ 12 ]
Your ideal physical appearance with moderately good fitness/athletic performance. 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:51 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I must admit I am an oddity...when I was lifting to become as strong as possible, I was also eating as much as I could. This is what I was told to to by almost everyone I knew. Well, this did not work for me: I wasn't improving much of my strength, and just got fat. After awhile, I decided to keep lifting but significantly reduce my calorie intake. Most people thought I was crazy, but with all the stored fat, I did not lose ANY strength. In fact, I may have added muscle because I am lifting a little more than before. Eveyone says it looks like I added alot of muscle, but I think it is mostly due to the fact that it was in hiding under fat, and now that I have almost no fat it is showing. Well, needless to say my life has gotten alot better than before, so I guess that is why I am choosing looks over function. Function for me is just staying healthy because I do not play any sports and have a desk job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, that's the way I am. I'm also a desk jockey. Lifting weights is the only active thing I do. I'm a muscular geek pretty much. Nobody calls me foureyes! Of course that might be because don't wear glasses......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:07 am 

So, I was always a skinny litte bugger at school. I weighed about 9 and a bit stone (60ish Kg). I had never done any physical activity, skipped PE (physical education in school) etc etc. When I was 18 my Mum wanted to go to a kickboxing class but didn't want to go alone so I went with her. I enjoyed it and started doing more. Then I decided to sign up to the gym upstairs that didn't have much equipment, the only weights were machines.

As I was skinny, I decided that I wanted to 'build up a bit' and started weight training although with no real program or goals. After a year or so I started to get into running and cycling on the machines a little more and realised If I put effort into it, I could do it. I joined the reserve armed forces and decided that I would like to have a go at joining one of the more elite reserve units and started to run and train more seriously. I got my first bike at the age of 21 and started competing in adventure races at the age of 22. So start putting more and more effort into better performance and have been hooked ever since I did that very first kickboxing lesson. I just keep trying to push it harder and faster with the aim of being the best there. At the age of 25 I have come to understand better about a structured program and diet and only wish I had this knowledge and drive at a younger age :(

I now weigh 75kg, a few personal bests (1RM):
Deadlift: 125kg
Back Squatt: 115kg (cannot get my ass down far enough at higher weights)
Chest Press: 117.5kg

I have competed in 48 hour adventure races, some of length over 200km. I would definately say that I am performance over aesthetics, but then ... surely aesthetics also follow performance. It is nice to walk on the path by the river topless and get the smiles and a few of the looks :) Although I sometimes wonder how much stronger I could be if I wasn't spending 8ish hours a week on cardio training.