ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dead Lift Program
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:01 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

OK -- Even though I have been engaged in bodybuilding for 20+ years, I havent deadlifted since college days. At age 57, I primarily use free weights and compound exercises, including squats, bent-over rows, presses. What would you recommend for a summer dead lift program?
I've been told not to go under 5 reps. I've been told not to dead lift more than once-a-week. How many set, reps, lbs. added per set, would you guys advise? Goal: extra strength and muscle mass. Thanks! Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:24 pm 

You've been told not to go UNDER 5 reps? If all you are interested in is muscle mass, I think the squat does primarily the same thing and is a lot easier on the body. If you want to lift maximally in the deadlift (as in single rep max) then you must lift under 5 reps. Also, if you are interested in improving your starting strength, then the 1st rep is the most important rep. All the reps after that, are almost like doing a different exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:12 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Quad. Lot's of good routine in various places. You might want to go to deepsquatter.com and look in their archives. Lots of PL type deadlifting routines and variations by various authors.
That said, I'm going to list one that I used back in the day when I was doing some PL, was back in the mid 90's, and I borrowed the idea from a Sharon/Reschel article in PLUSA. The original was for the squat, but I was shipping out at the time, and adapted it for the DL. I used Sumo, but it would work well for regular as well. Gave me my best results and I used it as an offseason thing for strength, strength conditioning.
Done 1 X week. When reps are listed, you set up for each rep. Ryan already hit on this.
Explanations, 1-1-1 means 1 rep, bar down rest 10 seconds, 1 rep, bar down 10 seconds, 1 rep. Paused reps. 2-2 -2 are same thing, just in groups of 2.-5 means two reps, pause 10 secs, then get 5 reps, again, set up for each rep.

Wk1 pick a weight at around 90% 1RM
warm up as necessary
Set 1 1-1-1 rest 3-5 mins
set 2 reduce weight 15-20 % then 2-2-2 Rest
Set 3 reduce weight again, 10% then 3-3-3

wk 2 Same weights
S1 1-2-1
S2 3-3-3
S4 3-5

Wk 3 same weights
S1 1-2-2
S2 3-5
S3 3-6

Wk 4 Practice some form work with around 60% weights, singles (active rest)
Repeat cycle but start heavier. limit it to 2-3 of these cycles
Assistance work for the hams/hips, etc can be done on this day or on a squat day. Stay in touch with your body.
Looks crazy, I know, but I had good results with it.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:53 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

If your going to do higher reps you can try these instead of Standard Deadlifts.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ham ... dlift.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:56 pm 

You can go pretty heavy on these and they're a great hamstrings/erectors exercise (Although for serious strength training Standard Deadlifts are probably a better choice.).