ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:40 pm 
former lurker

Sorry for the cryptic thread title, but...

Here's my issue... I've been on a serious diet since July and going to the gym since late October. While there, I typically do some cardio (used to be machines, now I mainly play squash 3+ times a week) and then do a dumbbell or machine-based series of strength exercises. Since I'm on a diet, I know I'm not going to add tons of strength, but I want to try to keep the muscle I do have while I'm losing.

The lifts I do were assembled largely from looking at the suggested 'components' on this site. (DB curls, DB bench, Leg press (sled), DB OHP, DB row, Seated Leg/hamstring curl (machine), DB tricep ext, lat pulldowns, and some core stuff).

I always wanted to do something like SL or SS, making use of the big compound lifts, but I was worried about hurting myself - particularly my knees - squatting. I work out alone, etc.

What I've learned now through playing squash is that I think I have issues with the muscles in the lower body firing - particularly my glutes. If I try to stand up out of a chair with my thighs parallel to the floor and my shins vertical, I can't do it. I wind up pulling my feet back more 'under' my weight and rock forward (using my calves definitely and quads, I think). There's no engagement in the glute area, nor do I notice any when I'm lunging on the squash court...

So, that's the long intro to setup my question:
Should I work on figuring out how to fire/strengthen my glutes/hamstrings separately before I start something like SS? Or should I start squatting with light weights, even if I can't go down all the way and get back up, expecting that those muscles will be trained in the task and eventually catch up?

I know that, in the latter case, I'd need to plan to be very careful about adding weight lest I wind up injuring myself. I just imagine I'm better off with more compound, whole-body lifts (if I can do them) than I am with a lot of segmentation/isolation right now.

Thanks for any thoughts.

PS - I think this site probably was the key resource that allowed me to feel comfortable and confident enough to start weight training at all... so I'm asking here in this forum because I trust the content here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:09 am 

I think the best way to get into squatting is to start with goblet squats and then progress to front squats. The reason is that these variants are largely self correcting. If you do them wrong you land on your face. Dan John writes about this.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:10 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

HeavyDluxe wrote:
What I've learned now through playing squash is that I think I have issues with the muscles in the lower body firing - particularly my glutes. If I try to stand up out of a chair with my thighs parallel to the floor and my shins vertical, I can't do it. I wind up pulling my feet back more 'under' my weight and rock forward (using my calves definitely and quads, I think). There's no engagement in the glute area, nor do I notice any when I'm lunging on the squash court...

Rocking Up Out of A Chair

Everyone leans forward and rock forward to get out of a chair, etc. It is normal.

Rocking forward activate the glutes. You may not think they are working but the glutes are working.

Lunge Glute Activation

The glute ARE engaged when you are "lunging on the squash court..." Again, you may not think the glutes are working but they are.

The Contacting of A Stretched Muscle

The glutes are stretched in a lunge or getting out of a chair.

The only to stand up straight in from a lunge or getting up out of a chair, etc, (where the glues are stretched) is to contract the glutes.

The glutes do NOT take a nap during the movement and then wake up after your become erect.

Quote:
I always wanted to do something like SL or SS, making use of the big compound lifts, but I was worried about hurting myself - particularly my knees - squatting. I work out alone, etc.

Working Out Alone

Single leg is an effective method of overload the legs.

1) Step Ups with Dumbbells. This is a great exercise.

2) Lunges. Lunging backward insures you keep the shin perpendicular to the floor. That means less "Shear Force" (stress) is place on the knees.

Many individuals who step forward with a lung, drive the knees forward. This place more "Shear Force" (stress) on the knees.

The higher the Step Up/lower the Lung (greater the glutes is stretched0, the more the glutes are activated though the greater range of the movement.

"I think I have issues with the muscles in the lower body firing - particularly my glutes."

"I think" means you are guessing. And you're guessing incorrectly about this.

You don't have any issues with your glutes firing. They are working.

How To Find Out For Yourself

EMG research (Electromyography) will show you the activation of the glutes in movement like the lunge, etc.

Muscle Meet Magnet

This is a great book that goes into this. What cool is it contain pictures that hi-lite in red the muscles activated in a movement.

10 Sets To Failure

Vince Gironda (very good bodybuilder and a great bodybuilding coach) come up with a more practical method.

In working with a woman years ago, she wanted to work her glutes.

I had her do lunges. After a couple of sets, like you, she said her glutes were working.

Game On

I had her perform 10 sets of lunges. Each set was taken to failure. She could barely walk afterward.

DOMS, Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness

Within two days, the glute soreness told her EXACTLY what muscles were worked...The Glutes were at the top of the list!

The Gironda Method

If you truly want to know if your glutes are engaged and firing in getting out of a chair or in lunging in squash, do 10 set of Weight Lunges to FAILURE.

In a day or two, the soreness in the glutes will tell you every movement that activates them.

Kenny Croxdale