ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:09 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am using an 8" box to stand on when I deadlift. This puts the bar right above my ankles when I begin the pull (with 45 lb. plates loaded). Is it OK to do this for deads, or should I be pulling with my feet on the floor, which would place the bar higher -- almost at my shin -- when I pull. If this is dangerous, let me know asap. I always did stiff leg deads on a box for the stretch and a longer pull. That's why it feels good for deadlifts.
Thanks! Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:55 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Quad, as long as you watch the loading and don't get carried away, it should be good. I think 8 inch might be a bit extreme. PL'rs have been doing this for years to improve theirbreaking power from the floor, and also do snatch grip DL's for the same purposes (these get your butt closer to the floor as well). I would use this technique for a while as an assistance to improve your normal DL driv from the floor, then switch back to normal.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:07 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

You should be fine provided:

A.) Your flexible enough to pull from an 8" deficit without rounding your lower back.

B.) The box is sturdy enough that it won't tip or cave in while your standing on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:23 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The handles on the trap bar position my hands a few inches above the plate centers, so it's actually a 6" deficit. I look up, tilting my head up with my but down low as I drive and, so far, my back hasn't been sore. After a month or two, I'll try doing deads with my feet on the floor, as you suggest. Thanks for your response, guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:24 pm 

The more experienced lifters can correct me if I'm wrong but I think that using a trap bar transforms the exercise into something like a squat (or a hack squat). You're not really doing a deadlift since the bar isn't in front of you and your back isn't engaged the same way. That's why the large deficit isn't an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:02 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stu: I see you point, as there may be less back involvement and more leg used. At my age (57), less stress on the back is no doubt a good thing, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:34 pm 

Frog, Stu is corret, the trap bar does make it much closer to a squat. A to the less on the back, you and I are about the same age, and I've baked WAY off deadlifting in the past 10 years (did right around 450 at 165-170 bwt in 96) and prefer to do the fast lifts off the floor these days for strength/power work as they are lighter in nature, back have about the same impact. One other thing I've found is that for my back, I much prefer swings, both the 1 and 2 arm variety, in high repititions for a strength/endurance effect on the back and whole posterior chain in general. It's the same movement with the hips, you just pop them explosively and let the bells float up.Doing 10 X 10 with 2 50 lb dbs, sets spaced 60 seconds apart, is rather light compared to a heavy deadlift, but really packs in some endurance and overall explosiveness.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good stuff, Tim. I think I'll alternate between squats one week and deads with the trap bar the next week...and see how that goes for five or six months. I will always focus on bodybuilding because it's what I've done for thrity plus years. Guys like Zayne, and Corney demonstrate that it can be a great lifestyle and add quality to one's later years. Keith