ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:04 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey guys. I was hoping you could give me some feedback on my workout routine.

I'm 28 years old, and I work out with weights 2x a week. In addition I train jogging, cross country skiing and cycling 2x a week. My goal is to increase strength, and to get a defined body. It's not a goal to be as big as possible (with 2x per week I guess that goes without saying..), but I want it to show that I'm working out :-). I have an office job, so it's important for me to keep my body in a good shape to avoid back problems and stuff.

Since I only work out with weigths 2x per week, I do a full body workout, and try to do mostly compound exercises. I have 2 routines that I do each week.

Day 1.
Squats, 3x8-10
Stiff leg deadlift, 2x8-10
Benchpress, 3x8-10
Pulldown, 3x8-10
Dumbbell shoulderpress, 3x8-10
Biceps curl, 3x8-10
Various abs exercises

Day 2.
Deadlift, 3x8-10
Leg extensions, 2x8-10
Dumbbell benchpress (inclined), 3x8-10
Seated cable rowing, 3x8-10
Triceps (pushdown, dips), 3x8-10
Lateral raise, 2x8-10
Various abs exercises

What do you think about this? Is the balance in this routine good? I'm not sure if I have too many exercises that do the front of my shoulders. I also wonder if I do too much leg exercises, since my goal is not to be as big as possible.

My english always gets a bit awkward when I write about training, but it should still be understandable ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:22 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Other than the absence of any calf work, your routines look good to me. You might want to throw in some lower back exercises to balance the ab work, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:26 am 

I would drop the leg extensions. Replace them with front squats and save your knees.

As long as you feel that your legs have time to recover between workouts, you should be all right with the leg workouts. As for getting too big (we all should have that problem) unless you are in a weight class sport or are doing something like rock climbing where lower body mass can be a burden, having stronger, larger legs should be a good thing.

The deadlifts will target the lower back. Make sure you warm up properly first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:12 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the replies.

I've been wanting to drop the leg extensions, so I'll use your posts as an excuse to do so. Maybe I could do some calf work instead of the leg extensions on day two. I already have squats, deadlifts and the jogging and cycling to target my legs.

Do I have too much shoulderwork? Do I need 3 sets of dumbbell shoulder press and 2 sets of lateral raise when I also have 6 sets of benchpress that will also target the shoulders. I try to lean a bit forward on the lateral raises so that they will target the back of my shoulders.

Will the deadlifts do enough work for my lower back, or should I do lower back instead of abs work on one of the days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:47 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

I think that for your goals your amount and choice of shoulder work is just fine for starters. You seem to have the bases covered so to speak.Give it a shot for a while, and if you get stale after some weeks, make some change. Overall, I think it's a good starting plan for health and overall general fitness.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:30 pm 
Novice
Novice

Deadlifts are the king of lower back and all round body exercise along with the squat. Those are sufficient.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:08 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

TimD wrote:
You seem to have the bases covered so to speak.Give it a shot for a while, and if you get stale after some weeks, make some change. Overall, I think it's a good starting plan for health and overall general fitness.
Tim

I agree with TimD. It's better to spend your time following a good routine than procrastinating while planning a great one. Once you get stale on a given routine, you can make changes.

Ayabara wrote:
Will the deadlifts do enough work for my lower back, or should I do lower back instead of abs work on one of the days?

As several posters noted earlier, your routine has ample work for the lower back. The standard deadlifts work the lower back isometrically, while the stiff legged deadlifts work the lower back through a range of motion. My mistake - I focused on doing isolation lower back exercises to balance the ab work, forgetting that the compound deadlift movements are more effective

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:27 pm 

Ayabara. another note, your English, as written,is very good, and do not worry about it. As an American, I have spent many years in Japan, Germany Danmark, and various other countries in Southeast Asia. I can tell you, your written English is just as good as most Americans can do, and much better than my other languages of German and Dansk.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:08 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks again for all the input (on both the workout routine and the language :-)

Then I'll keep the abs work on both days and change leg extension to calf work, but otherwise stick to my program and see how it goes.

TimD: I'm from Norway, and it shows that you've been in Danmark, since you write Dansk/Danmark instead of Danish/Denmark. You should say Deutsch instead of German though ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:02 am 

Ayabara, in my last job, which was ocean research, we spent a lot of time up in your area. We would occasionally pull in to Harstad, and once when we had engineering problems, we went into drydock in Bergen. Beautiful place. The thing in, while I can write and spell Dansk, the Norwegians could read it, but when I tried to speak in Dansk w/ them, they shifted me back to English (Vaersgo at taler paa Engelsk) and told me I spoke Norsk like I had hot marbles in my mouth. Oh well. Anyway, good luck with your plan.
Tim