ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:58 pm 
n00b
n00b

I am 14 years old but I am turning 15 this June. I really need to bulk up and get bigger because i am underweight and it isn't helping my hockey performance. This is also my draft year for hockey.

I am 5 foot 5 inches and i weigh about 110 pounds. I should be about 20 pounds heavier. I am roughly 11% body fat. I have been doing pushups and sit ups for a while now. Doing 100 pushups is no problem for me and i do 125 Bench Trunk Curls every morning.

So the question is, should i start lifting weights? I really need to work on my upper body. My lower body and legs are very strong due to the fitness trainer my hockey team has. We never worked much on upper body.

Ey3 cOn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:39 pm 
Novice
Novice

YES by all means. Start with simple whole body routine that is compromised of squats, deadlifts, rows, and presses. Stay light , learn form, and dont get into ego lifting like most of your peers do. Use a rep range of about 10-15 reps per set, no more than two exercises per body part and two working sets per exercise. Do at least twice a week to start and work your way up to three X a week alternating days off.

Eat.....eat and eat more. Quality foods, no crap or at least keep it in check. 4-5 meals per day. Drink lots of water as well to keep hydrated. try to get around 60 oz water per day.

Use as much freeweights as possible, but dont be scared to use the machines if you are lifting alone. This eliminates the possibilities of getting pinned , espceialy with the bench press and squats. Mix dumbbells and barbells to get a well rounded workout and dont become a bencher/curler.

A sample routine might look like this..

Legs: squat, leg press or lunge
Back: Deadlift, barbell rows or lat pulldowns
Chest: Flat bench barbell, incline bench dumbbells.
Shoulders: Barbell or dumbbell press, lateral raises.
Arms: Barbell or dumbbell curls, Tricep extensions or pressdowns

each set should have one ultra light warm up set and two working sets of 10-15 reps. Do not worry about going to failure right now and dont worry about lifting heavy. FORM FIRST, amount is secondary.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:20 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the advice. what kinds of food should i eat? and how much? machines aren't really an option for me, i am stuck with dumb bells. is this good or bad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:27 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Dumbbells are fine to start with. Meanwhile, you may want to start saving up for a barbell set and a chin-up bar. If you shop around, they shouldn't be too expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

dumbbells are super to use at any level not just to start with. But they are the safest form of freeweights because if you cant get the weight up, you can drop them off to the sides without worry of being pinned. If you can lift a weight with dumbbells, you can do that weight with barbells, because dumbbells work each side of the body seperately from the other and eliminates unbalanced strength from side to side. this is called unlilateral training ( not to get you confused with terms here). Ive been lifting for 25 yrs and still do at least a third of my workout with dumbbells.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:56 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Ey3 cOn wrote:
what kinds of food should i eat? and how much?

A list of foods that you should be eating is here. In general, 80%-90% of your diet should be clean whole foods. But for your sanity's sake, you should allow yourself to eat junk food every now and then. If life isn't worth living without ice cream, for instance, by all means eat it - just don't eat a half gallon every day.

As for how much, you should gradually increase the amount of food that you consume, and see how your body responds. Crash weight gain programs, in general, put more fat on your body than muscle. That's the opposite of what you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:43 am 

You should find someone experienced to train with. A parent is ideal. Get someone who can critique your form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:44 am 

"dumbbells are super to use at any level not just to start with."

I didn't mean that he should stop using dumbbells. I just think it would be beneficial for him to add barbell lifts at some point. For example, for heavy Deadlifts, a barbell would be more practical then a pair of dumbbells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

thats cool, I was just leetting him know that dbs should be used all the time, some people forget about them once they gain experience exept for curls.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:31 pm 

what about, bags, barrels, stones and wheel barrels? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:50 pm 

Car pushes, caper tosses and railroad tie carries?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:52 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree in eating 4-5 meals a day, as a rule of thumb make it every two hours. I played hockey also, I was a winger my first few years, and once I hit age 10 I started playing goalie, and continued that for the next several years. I'm from the Tri-Cities, Washington originally, and Scott Gomez, Olaf Kolzig, Stu-Barnes, and Billy Lindsay got drafted to the NHL from there. Scott Gomez was living a block away from me, and I got the opportunity to meet and talk to him a few times.

I haven't played in a few years, but I am planning to start up again, and wanted to do more specific training. What does the team's personal trainer have you guys doing for strength, conditioning and flexibility? Just want to compare with what I had in mind and maybe get some new ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:20 pm 
n00b
n00b

The hockey trainer was pretty tough on us.

Every other night we show up at the gym at the rink.
as soon as we get there, we do 4 sets of 25 pushups. we did basic stretches to loosen hamstrings, calfs, shoulders, and neck. we also ran 1-3 kilometers after stretching.

depending on your position, you would do different excersizes. I play defence and forward so i know a bit about both. I know about goalie more because i used to help out when i was injured.
Goalie

After the team warmup, the goalies would go with the Goalie Coach and 1 of the fitness trainers and do a lot of leg excersizes. Usually they would do squats, 45 degree leg press, and hamstring curls. Right after that, they would do 4 sets of 25 Incline Situps or max effort. They would do some bench press and chest press. Then they would strap their pads on and do "butterflies". They would basically go up and down. Then they would do some cardio.

Forwards

The Forwards would do almost the same stuff as defence. Usually a full upper body workout. The Forwards used a balance ball and stood on it while stick handling a puck. hard stuff. Forwards would do some more push ups and situps and lots of cardio. The forwards tended to do more upper body stuff than lower body.

Defence

The Defence did pretty much the same stuff as forwards. We usually did more lower body work. We also did a lot of wind sprints and we occasionally did tire flipping.

We usually ended the workout with light cardio and stretching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:33 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Puck handling on an exercise ball?? Hard stuff was right! I could see where if you're playing defence you're going to want to have more size on you.

For the goalies, what kind of flexibility training did they have them doing? The butterfly training and squats are a pretty standard thing. Did they have them doing anything for handspeed or reaction? A lot of goaltending is in anticipation and cutting the angles, but the faster your body can do what you want it to do, the better off you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

goalies did a lot of wall ball things. like they would throw a ball at a wall with their right hand and catch it with their left. fun stuff lol. they also did reaction tests every couple weeks. they would open their hand and try to catch a ruler. quicker you catch the ruler, better the score.

our coach also had a habit of randomly throwing a tennis ball at them. like they would be just standing around or just jogging on a treadmill and the coach would throw a ball to test his reaction. it was pretty good.