ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I ran acoss this article over at T-mag, and surprizingly, it was work/family safe without any plugs for the Biotest supp lines. I see the question arise, periodically, about what is best for fat loss. This article lays out a heirarchy, and builds it based on studies, which are in the article, with breakdowns on protocols, etc. Kind of blows the "target zone" theory of long slowsteady aerobics right into last place, but doesn't shun it. It is good for the heart to a degree, and with the studies, explains WHY that even if you burn more calories with the long slow stuff over resistance and interval training, the latter two have a much more profound effect on fat loss. I think you'll find it an interesting read. By Cosgrove.
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539
These ideas are not new, by any stretch, yet there are many people out there walking for hours on a treadmill thinking they are doing what's best for fat loss.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:34 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Great article. Like you said, no new findings, just a framework for some common sense notions:

1 - Diet is essential for losing weight

2 - Vigorous exercise yields better results than low level exercise

3 - Building muscle mass increases resting metabolism

On the last point, tonight's 20 20 carried this:

Quote:
April 13, 2007 — "Cardio kills," says Jim Karas in his new book, "The Cardio-Free Diet."

"Cardiovascular exercise kills a weight-loss plan, your internal organs, your immune system, your time and your motivation. If your true goal is to lose weight, interval strength training is the only way to go," says Karas, an ABC News correspondent, celebrity trainer and fitness expert.

When he first tried to lose weight as a 21-year-old, Karas found that he would work up an enormous appetite after running several miles. So while his cardiovascular health improved he still wasn't losing weight.

The Program

He grew more interested in strength training and started exercising with weights. In a short period of time he noticed changes in his body's composition. Gradually, experimenting on himself, he started doing more strength exercise and less cardio — and his weight went down.

His experiment resulted in a cardio-free exercise program that includes two routines with 10 exercises. Every two weeks, after beginning with Phase 1, you add two exercises as you progress to the next phase, ultimately getting to Phase 4.

I still like to do cardio, but this is food for thought

BTW - Karas said that he has women on his program consume 1200 calories a day - only about 60% of the recommended caloric intake for the average woman. So, of course they lose weight - the key seems to be, sans the cardio, the low calorie diet isn't short circuited. But I wonder how you can build muscle during a calorie deficit. Maintain it, perhaps, but build it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:44 pm 
Novice
Novice

how long does he keep them on this diet? if for a short period of time with a proper split of macro nutrients...I dont see too much harm however if extended, I cant see it even maintaining muscle mass. The body will slow down and begin to store fat and hit the muscles for needed fuel since protien is quicker to break down than fat.

As for the hierachy of the weight loss syndrom.....each approach can work on its own, but I dont think you can get very far without at least two of the big three mixed together. ( weights, clean diet and cardio). If I could do only two of them, ( o wait, I do, lol), I would of course pick the clean dietary habits and my next choice would be weight training since you can turn resistance training into a semi cardio session and still build on your current level of lean body mass, unlike cardio which only gets you so far.

as a redundant comment here...Mix all three for best results. Like we dont already know this. I also agree if you do do cardio...use a cross training method of standard cardio and HIIT cardio.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:14 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Scott Ismari wrote:
how long does he keep them on this diet?

Unfortunately, I was multitasking while the Karas 20/20 segment aired last night, so I missed a lot of the particulars. But for certain the 1200 calorie diet part of his program isn't intended for long term usage. I'm sure that he would be happy to tell us all about his program - if we buy a book or sign up as his client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with the no cardio part but a 1200 calorie diet isn't good. I can use that many calories in 1 leg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:34 pm 

Could be a fine diet for certain small women that don't do much besides the 3 hours of lifting per week.

Post subject: Tread Mill Rats
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:27 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

We have a few of those factory-sized gyms outside of town that have 50-60 treadmills in a row with TVs hanging from the ceiling. When I saw the ABC 20 20 segment on cardio, I thought about all of those treadmill rats running with their MP3 players plugged in or eyes fixed on the Oprah show. What really sabotages their weight loss goals is the Crispy Cream they go to across the highway...or the breakfast sandwich at McD's they'll have in the morning. We also have cardio at our gym: going up and down the stairwell wearing a loaded Frank Zane Leg Blaster. It's three flights of quad-screaming, calf numbing hell. When the owner found out about it, he made us sign a waiver.