ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lowerbody problems
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:58 am 
former lurker

I am 6'4" - 6'5" (I get differing reports.)

I have always had trouble my feet pointing outwards while, running, lifting, doing anything. The worst is when they want to pop out on the catch/rack of an Olympic lift.

When I back squat, I fight the infamous two-staged legpress into a good morning form.

I feel like I have to cheat somehow when squatting in order to not fall backwards. I, in some slight degree and combination, put more weight on my toes, point my toes outward, lean forward, and widen my stance. Because of this I front squat more then any other lower body exercise. When front squatting these cheats are much less present.

I can front squat 275, back squat +365, and only deadlift 350.

I spend a huge amount of time sitting at a desk, in a car, and in front of a computer.

I hurt my back alarmingly often when I dead lift, so I tend to stay away from it.
---

It seems to me I am screwed up. My humble guess would be weak glutes, but I am having a terrible time targeting them.

does anyone have any insights to share on whats wrong and how to fix it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:46 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I feel your pain :-( but on the bright side :-) I am currently correcting a lot of the same similar issues and after much frustration, i'm making good progress with it.

First of all, it would be handy to find a good physiotherapist or chiro. I couldn't and got frustrated and just started studying. I don't know what constitutes a good one, but if you can get someone who can prove that they still study and research the area, even after they 'qualified' then that would be a good start.

It sounds like you have alot of postural / balance issues. Weak glutes are a big factor and you will need to strengthen them and do some 'activation' drills which is - as far as i know- a way of 'reprogramming' your CNS to tell your glutes to fire when there supposed to. Basically, your body will have a lot of muscles doing too much work (for example, quads and hip flexors) due to other muscles not doing there job correctly (for example, glutes not firing, so the quads etc take the load).

You will have lots of weak muscles and effectively lots of other muscles compensating for the weaker ones, and therefore becoming over used / tight.

www.t-nation.com - if you've not been on this site get on it :-) Lots of great info. All the coaches / writers are good but Eric Cressey and Mike robertson have written loads of info on posture, function, mobility, inbalance - what ever way u want to put it, but it's all the same really - Functional strength i.e. strong but healthy.

The first thing I would very strongly advise you do is take a atleast 2 hours of your spare time ASAP and go through this article series, Neanderthal No More by Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson mentioned above. If you do anything, make sure you do this. 2 hours atleast, get your studying head on, get some paper and pen (or PC), get a camera and get down to business.

The article is a progressive series of which it firstly explains all the techical stuff which might be quite heavy going, but then it basically shows you how to diagnose your issues. You need pictures, and you are told what to look for and given info on how to correct it. At the very least, it will point you in the right direction and you will atleast have half a clue of what you need to do but I honestly believe that if you spend enough time going over these and maybe some of the other stuff they have written (check there own websites) then you will be able to figure it out your self.

here they are, in the order they were written,

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=314nean2
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=315nean2
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do? ... 4-training
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do? ... 6-training
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=535872

Enjoy! Take it all seriously, i'm also a 'desk jockey'. It's likely that you have a string of upper body imbalances as well i.e. forward head posture, rounded shoulders, winged shoulder blades - a recipe for some chronic shoulder issues.

Sorry for the long (and a little rushed) post but it's a subject i've became very passionate about - I had no idea that this side of things even existed until I was 'out the game' for several months because of it.

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds like poor form on the deadlift, which most people have. You have to get your butt down there and keep your back straight. I see so many people deadlifting with almost all back. You can do some serious damage like that.

deadlift and squats are the best things for glutes. On the deadlift use all 25 lbs. plates so the bar is lower, or lift from a low platform. This puts more on the glutes. However it also makes it easier to do it wrong. So make sure you have the form right first. When you squat keep your back straight and use less weight. Drop the weight as low as you have to, to do it right. You will need to let your glutes and hips catch up.

Try the sumo stance deadlift too. Great for glutes and inner thighs especially with the smaller plates or platform.

Hamstrings could also be a problem, try Romanian deadlift for that.

As for the feet pointing out, that is just the way you are. I'm like that too. Flat footed, they call it. Nothing you can do about it as far as I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:17 am 

Just wanted to add that it would be worth while doing a lot of single leg exercises. Lunges, reverse lunges, single leg squats, step ups - having a focus on these for while may very well iron out alot of problems.

Also, if your going to do lunges, a longer stride will enphasise the glutes more, shorter stride to emphasise quads. Just good to know really.

"Pull Throughs" seem to be highly recommended, I do them the normal way and also with an emphasis on glutes.

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:56 am 

Quote:
I feel like I have to cheat somehow when squatting in order to not fall backwards. I, in some slight degree and combination, put more weight on my toes, point my toes outward, lean forward, and widen my stance. Because of this I front squat more then any other lower body exercise. When front squatting these cheats are much less present.

A simililar question came up on Dr. Squat the other day:
http://drsquat.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ght=#17157

The bottm line:
"You're not doing it right. This should be ealy to correct.

1. get on the back half of your feet (on hour heels) and STAY THERE

2. Poke your butt backward about 10 inches or so

3. THEN bend your knees and descend into the squat

(still on your heels?)"