ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:21 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I wouldn't neessarily say that going down past the knee isn't necessary, but in the case of rack lockouts, it's not needed. This movement is used by Pl types for overload to help lockouts, and to take the quads out. It can definately help, but I don't think it should be done exclusively; i.e. periodically include some full ROM DL's as well.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:22 pm 

A little confused Blue Nose, why are you keeping your legs straight until the bar passes your knees?

A standard deadlift should be done with your knees bent on the pickup and you should not straighten the legs until the bar passes the knees.

**So going down past the knees isn't required? I've been letting the plates down to a few inches off the floor, but this is probably why I've been getting the extra workout in the legs? **

Not sure, nothing is really required but a standard deadlift would be done all the way to the ground.

Straight leg deadlifts and RDL's etc would be done somewhere below the knee assuming you can keep your back in position there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:38 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ryan A wrote:
A little confused Blue Nose, why are you keeping your legs straight until the bar passes your knees?

Sorry, I wasn't very specific.... that's on the way down!
Matt Z wrote:
It could just be that your back has gotten stronger and is therefore no longer the weak link in your deadlift.

Maybe I'll take a break then, and keep on the squats until my legs catch up.

Thanks all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:11 pm 
It's up to you whether or not you wanna take a break from deadlifts, but a strong back is an asset to squatting. If your back is strong your less likely to hurt it, and you can focus on your legs more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:13 pm 
Maybe instead of taking a break from deadlifts, you could just stop adding weight for a while. Then you could focus more on improving your squat, without backsliding on deadlifts.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2