ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new workout
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I started that new workout I was talking about. I did 3 warm up sets per exercise. Then 8x3 at 90% in pairs with 60 seconds rest.
I did flat barbell bench and bent over row together. Alternated between over and under hand on the rows.
Then I did squats and standing calf raise. I like doing the squats, then resting only 30 seconds, doing calves, and then taking 90 seconds before the next set of squats. It went pretty well. I felt like I was going to puke after the 7th set of squats. On the 8th set and final rep, I barley made it back up, my legs were on fire. I had put the guard bars in, just in case.

I have another one planned for today. Incline dumbbell press and pulldowns with alternating grip. Then Romanian deadlift and calf press. I mostly feel like I can handle more. My hips, glutes and lower back are the only question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:49 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Let us know how you make out on your second workout; working out while you're still sore from the first. I did a similar workout yesterday (SS - Power Cleans/Front Squats followed by SS - Bench/Bent Rows 10x3) The workout went well but I decided to take today off. I know I'm a pussy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The second workout went well. I really didn't have any problems. I did the second pairing like the day before with 30 seconds after the DL, then the calf, then 90 seconds before deadlifting again.

Thursday will be the third workout of three.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The third one went pretty well too. I divided the pairs between more exercises for this day. The 2x8x3 upper body pairing was kind of split into 2 half pairs. I did weighted chest dips on pbar (gripping at the very end at widest part and lifting legs up a bit.), with prone dumbbell row. 4 sets of 3 for each. Then the other half was weighted pushup with feet elevated about 1 meter, with head lifted up, lowering upper chest to the floor. Legs crossed at ankle with foot on the very edge of this thing that looks like a big padded table. Then close grip pulldown, using the row attachment. 4 sets of three for each.

Then lower body was split up more, but only on 1 half of the pair. I did 3x3 hack squats, 3x3 deadlift (both with 45's), and then 2x3 sumo deadlift with all 25 lbs plates so the bar is lower. That was A, then B was 8x5 or 6 just short of failure on calf press.

The workouts went well. Next week will be mostly the same thing. The only difference is I had done barbell on flat bench and dumbbell on incline, so this coming week I'll do flat dumbbell and incline barbell. Otherwise it will be the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:19 am 

I took Weds off but on Thurs I did 6x6 of 1 arm DB Snatch SS/w 1 leg DB Deadlift followed by 1 arm DB Floor press SS/w 1 arm DB Row. Today I did 3x9 1 arm DB Thruster SS/w Bulgarian Split Squats followed by 1 arm DB OH Presss SS/w 1 arm cable pull downs. I had planned on 4 sets each but did 3. However since I'm using Dumbells I'm doing each side individually so it's really 6 sets of each. I really feel weak after today's workout but the asymetrical exercises are definately easier on the CNS. I don't feel burned out. It's surprising how much this feels like cardio. I feel like I've just run 10K hard and I'm super hungry. I'm going to eat like a horse for the weekend and hit deadlifts on Monday. It will likely be 10x3 ???/Deadlifts followed by OH Press/Pull Ups.

How are you managing the loads? I'm trying to keep the weights heavy but careful not to go to failure.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm loading everything at 90% and doing 3 reps, except for calves which is loaded at 90%, but you can get more reps with calves and going close to failure doesn't stress you, so I do 5 or 6 reps on calves.

With the short rest it does feel like I've run a marathon or something. I don't feel stressed despite the high volume because 3 reps is well short of failure at 90%. There is some accumulation though, so you can barley get that last rep on the last couple sets.

It feels like everything is getting worked pretty well despite the lack of isolation. Calves seem to handle the workload for the most part. The lower outside part of my right calf is pretty sore. Not sure what the deal is with that. It always seems to be sore after calf work though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:11 pm 

I guess the weekend will tell. The time off is key to rebuilding. We'll see what Monday brings. I plan on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri next week.

I'm not training calves on this program as they're strong enough now but I did have a problem a couple of weeks ago. Doing seated raises, I had a pull in one calf. It hurt like the dickens for a couple of days. I've been training for the Battle Fitness Test the last couple of months. I'm usually dehydrated after the long weightload march and a couple of times I had a small cramp in one my calves. The last time, I recognized it coming and relaxed. The muscle contracted but not painfully. It left an indentation in my calf of about 1/2" deep and about 4" long. It went away after a few minutes with no damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm doing Monday, Tuesday, Thursday. I definitely feel like I need a few days rest. My rear delts are sore, and my traps too, all 3 parts on both sides. My lower back was pretty sore for a while too, but it's mostly gone away now. I think the traps in particular got targeted or at least used as a stabilizer in every exercise I did.

It's definitely something I could do for a while. We'll see what kind of results I get from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:50 am 

It's definitely the stabilizers that get the brunt of this workout. Its my traps, rhomboids, seratus, insides of my thighs and lower back that are sore this morning. I'm kind of excited to see what Monday will be like. I'm thinking that this could go for a couple of months but then I'll switch to a pure strength routine for a few weeks.