ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:26 am 
former lurker

Okay, I’m mega confused. I understand the concept of recovery time and all that, but how does a cardio workoout fit into this? It’s hard for me to fit the 3x a week cardio that everyone says you should be doing, into a weight training program, while still leaving time for recovery. If I pound the pavement, does that mean I’m hurting the ability of my leg muscles to recover?

Is this workout regime a recipe for overtraining disaster?

Monday: Full body weight training
Tuesday: 5K run (22 minutes)
Wednesday: 5K run (22 minutes)
Thursday: Full body weight training
Friday: 5 K run (22 minutes)

I like doing the cardio (run a set route, trying to cut my time) and for the sports I do it’s important. But of course I would like to get the full benefits out of a weight training regime too. Is there something different I should or could be doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:34 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Sounds like the running is your priority, so I'll keep that in m ind in my reply.I don't see anthing wrong with what you are doing. With respect to recovery, just keep a close eye on your intensity with the weights. If you have problems with recovery fron the strength training, just dial the intensity or volume of the weights back a bit, but frankly, I don't see 3 5k's cutting into your energy reserves all that much, and don't see that it would effect the cns (central nervous system-this is what's necessary for recdovery from weights) all that much at all. As far as effctingleg strength, I don't see that happening for your purposes. Now, if you were a Powerlifter, and trying to post a big Squat, it wouldn't be adviseable, but it sounds like you're just going for general fitness, and it looks to be a solid program, for me anyway.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:39 am 
former lurker

Thanks for the quick reply Tim! Much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:19 am 

Can I offer a little bit of advice based on experience.

If all you are doing is running the same 5k route, all you are doing is training your body to run that same route at the same pace, in effect you aren't going to be getting fitter, more getting used to it.

This is great if you are ging to run a 5k race which is over your route but if you try a 5k pace over another route you will find it slightly different.

I was having this problem before I moved from the UK to austria. I had nice 5-20 mile routes which I would do and all I was doing was getting used to the routes. When I would go to races (ARs) I would find it hard to adapt.

What I am trying to say is that you should constantly 'stress' your body making it adapt and be ready to adapt to new stages. IE in a race, you sometimes have to 'power' through to overtake another competitor.

Just out of interest, what soprt is it you do? Also, have you ever considered crossfit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:59 am 
former lurker

I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I'm starting weightlifting (3 times per week with at least 48 hours between sessions) but I run and bike too. Unfortuantely I live in a place where there are almost no flat roads, so my bike riding and running are pretty strenuous even when I want to take it easy. Would it be best to go for the ride/run just after lifting so I have a full day of recovery? Or do the ride/run on the days when I'm not lifting because even a strenuous ride/run is nothing like a session with the weights. Thanks.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:11 am 

I'd say either approach is good. Running/biking even on hills and such shouldn't really cut into your recoverability as long as your not doing long sessions. You didn't specify, but I'd say a 30-45 min session done a few times week either after lifting or on off lifting days wouldn't hurt. The ke thing though, is for YOU to know. Just listen to your body.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:20 am 
former lurker

Thanks Tim. The circuit I do is almost exactly 45 minutes: 30 minutes worth of climbing about 1000 feet and then 15 minutes to get down again. I'll try one way and see how it goes.