ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:38 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

5 minutes between sets might be hard - I'm already running long on my workout. If I go 5 minutes, I think I will be forced to cut down to 2 sets per exercise. 3 sets with 3 minutes rest takes about 7 minutes; 3 sets with 5 minutes rest will take about 11 minutes...across my whole workout that's going to mean about an hour and fifteen minutes to and hour and a half, once you add in changing exercises (need to use the same bar and plates, but different weights), setup, and cleaning up afterwards. I don't have enough time for that.

Is losing the volume - 1/3 of my volume overall - worth it? I might stick to 3 sets of deadlifts though...they are my most important exercise as I really need stronger abs, lower back, glutes, and legs right now.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:33 am 

So I tried something different tonight - stuward recommended 5 minutes rest. I did that, and cut down from 3x5 to 2x5 for all my exercises to keep the time of the workout almost the same (in fact, slightly shorter, since I don't rest 5 mins between different exercises). So only 2/3 of the work, and longer rest times, and heavier weights.

Worked well.

Deadlifts:
Last week: 3x5x112.5kg broken pace on the sets.
This weel: 2x5x115kg, steady pace (rep-deweight-stand and reset-rep)

I was able to increase my bench press a couple kilos for the same reps, keep my shoulder press the same weight but get all 5 reps smoothly instead of struggling on the last rep (I'll up it next time), and up the weight on my dumbbell rows too.

I kept in mind that my goal was to make all 5 reps, rest 5 minutes, make 5 more, and then stop, and no worry about pacing...and the result was a better pace. I think I can keep adding to the deadlift for a while on this approach. So I'm going to keep doing this - 2x5 with 5 minutes rest.

Thanks as always,

Peter