ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:48 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks to all of the great advice I've received here, I'm going to be starting Bill Starr's Intermediate 5*5. This calls for cleans and optional push presses. I'm going to be getting some lessons from a coach on the O lifts and wanted to ask if the clean is as good as the pendlay row for the back. I'm pretty sure it's superior but wanted to make sure (not to mention that it involves many more muscle groups). My coach also suggested I learn the clean and jerk as well as the snatch for strength, speed, and power increases, would you incorporate this into a 5*5? How?
I also wanted to ask if when doing push presses you need to clean the bar every rep or just the first rep and then do 5 shoulder presses.
Sorry for the long post, your advice is appreciated.
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:03 am 

For the push presses just clean it once and do 5 reps.

If you have a coach you're in good shape. Learn the lifts you mentioned. Do them early in your routine when you are fresh and while you are learning the lifts, they will help you warm up for the squats.

You might do the clean & Jerks on Mon/Fri as recommended and do snatchs on Weds. That's a light day anyway so it shouldn't be adversly affected.

The 5x5 doesn't take more than about 30-45 min not counting warmup. That gives you time for some O-lifts prior.

The cleans definately work your back and with the deadlift you do get a good back workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:11 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks Stuward. Are you suggesting that I snatch before my wednesday workout of squat/push presses/deadlift or that I replace the push presses with the snatch? And with the clean and jerk, should it be my third exercise on monday and friday (squat/bench/clean and jerk)?
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:22 am 

Do them as additional exercises at first. Just focus on technique, not weight. Even when the weight is higher and they get more demanding you should still do some military presses and rows from time to time.

They should always be first in your program, immediately after warmup.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:26 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Here is a good example of how to incorporate the O lifts into a solid 5x5 program. Very similar to Starr's. JV was around during the same time frame, and I like JV's a bit better. You can also find this in the sticky above on basic routines. Two programs are presented, one leans towards a PL approach, and the second is more OL geared.
http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/QUALITY3.htm
Tim