ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:32 am 

1:12, 1:3, 1:2, 2:3, 1:1, etc. I get confused and I am also not very good at math either if math has to be involved. I think 1:2 is one half of what you are doing. For example, sprinting for 10 seconds and maybe resting for 5 seconds, or maybe 1:2 means 1 minute and 30 seconds between reps?

A lot of sites list different numbers for lifting weights or rest between sets or runs and I want to understand what they mean. Can you give examples according to seconds, minutes, and pounds, so I can understand these numbers and what they mean.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:57 am 

It's hard to tell out of context but ratios are written that way. Do you have a site or web page you are looking at?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:54 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

caangelxox wrote:
1:12, 1:3, 1:2, 2:3, 1:1, etc. I get confused and I am also not very good at math either if math has to be involved. I think 1:2 is one half of what you are doing. For example, sprinting for 10 seconds and maybe resting for 5 seconds, or maybe 1:2 means 1 minute and 30 seconds between reps?

A lot of sites list different numbers for lifting weights or rest between sets or runs and I want to understand what they mean. Can you give examples according to seconds, minutes, and pounds, so I can understand these numbers and what they mean.

Thanks

Those numbers represent the work to rest ratio, work:rest. The first number represents time it takes you to complete the work/exercise.

The second number is how much rest you take before performing the exercise again. The second number/rest period is a multiple of the work number.

Example: 1:3

If it takes you 10 seconds to compelete the exercise, the rest period is three times that number...so, your rest period would be 30 seconds. 10 seconds X 3 = 30.

Another example: 1:12

Again if it tekes you 10 seconds to complete you work set, that means you take twelve times the work number as your rest period.

10 seconds X 12 = 120 seconds/2 minutes.

These work ratios are prescribed as a means to obtain different a training effect much like the number of sets and reps you use in an exercise.

Your objective/goal determines the amount of time between sets of an exercise.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:24 pm 

If my goal was to improve speed, what would the rest ratio work:rest be for that? If I want to improve my speed to first base (60 feet) or my home to home time (80 feet). How can I determine what the best rest time would be to achieve the best results and not slow down? I know that too little of rest will slow you down and that means no improvement will be made. I have a problem going from home to home and then slowing down on the way to 3rd base-home, which I should not be slowing down at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

16:9
Oh, I'm thinking of TV's........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:25 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

caangelxox wrote:
If my goal was to improve speed, what would the rest ratio work:rest be for that? If I want to improve my speed to first base (60 feet) or my home to home time (80 feet). How can I determine what the best rest time would be to achieve the best results and not slow down? I know that too little of rest will slow you down and that means no improvement will be made. I have a problem going from home to home and then slowing down on the way to 3rd base-home, which I should not be slowing down at all.

I posted something on this yesterday. However, I guess it didn't take. So, let me try one more time.

For short duration exercises, under 30 seconds, your ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) system is used.

Strength, power and speed movement rely on ATP to help your muscles fire. If your ATP stores are low, you won't produce as much strength, power and/or speed.

Pushing heavy weight, high power and speed movements exhaust your ATP stores quickly. When that happens, your strength, power and speed drop.

The good news is that your ATP stores can be farily quickly restored. Research shows that 50% of your APT is restored to your muscle in 30 seconds. Complete restoration take about 3 minutes plus.

Thus, the longer your rest periods between your sets of a intense exercise, the greater your strength, power and speed is.

This work with weight training. The same basic principles should also work with sprinting. So, I suspect that you'd want to take at least 30 seconds between sprints.

Someone who is better versed in sprint training/track may be able to provide you with more information on this.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:16 pm 

Thanks Kenny

I did sprint work the other day around the bases at the park and I did this...

On a ratio of 1:12
2 x 80 yard sprints with 2:30 rest between
4 x 60 yard sprints with 2:00 rest between
6 x 40 yard sprints with 1:30 rest between
8 x 20 yard sprints with 1:00 rest between
10 x 10 yard sprints with 0:30 rest between

I think next time I will cut this down and get rid of the 60 yard sprints because I think this is a little too much sprinting. I just wanted to give it a shot. Took over a half hour to get done with this. I should be alright doing the 2x80 yard sprints, then 4x40 yard sprints, then 6x20 yard sprints, then 8x 10 yard sprints. and maybe I should increase the rest time a bit?

Do you think I should be sprinting the other way too going from home to 3rd, etc.? I only sprint the way we go around the bases. I never do it going the other direction. Also feels weird (same with running on the track)