ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:33 am 

I don't have a partner to do them with (I don't think a partner is a good idea anyway. They could overstretch you because they cannot feel your stretch).

Most of the pictures and discriptions I could find online of PNF stretches are partner examples, which I do not want. Some I was able to come up with my creativity to my body on it or the wall on it or whatever, but others I could not come up with anything.

I am putting isometric stretches together mixed with passive stretches for each muscle. My plan is passive for 5 deep breaths and then isometric for 5 deep breaths, then passive again 5 deep breaths. I would do it by breaths because its better than just counting. Relaxation is better by focusing on your breathing instead of time. Static stretching never worked for me, so I am trying something different. I tested earlier doing the glute stretch with the pigion (opposite of glute stretch; your chest is on your leg for resistance) and when I went to the passive at the end, I have noticed an increase in my stretch; therefore, I will know PNF is right for me.

Muscles I am having trouble finding PNF Stretches for:
I have the passive stretches for these, but not the PNF. Will bands would or rope or towel? The downside to those is while one muscle is stretching, the other one is isometrically working to hold the stretch in place and if that muscle has already been stretch, it will feel tired.

- Adductors (all I can find is the butterfly stretch and I cannot push elbows down for pressure because my legs are already on the ground) and plus that stretch does not do the whole adductors. I am flexibile in this area (always have been) and I could bring my foot to my forehead.
- Lats
- Triceps
- Shoulders (other than side deltoids)
- Chest
- Trapz (other than the neck turning to the left/right muscle)
- Obliques

and I think that is pretty much it unless I forgot an important muscle not found below.... Can you check with me about the hamstrings, hip flexors, quadriceps, Lower Back to see if the isometric ones that I think will work as isometric are the right ones? I don't think the Lower Back one is right and the hamstring one might be the wrong pick. I know I am lacking flexibility in the waist, which I am having a hard time touching my toes. I am just guessing on this one. I feel that when I try to massage my knotts in my lower back with a tennis ball or convince my mom to do it, I could touch my toes more..but then the knott comes back later on. I also feel tension in my lower back in the morning (not my spine) when I wake up. Maybe I am sleeping wrong or something. I try not to sleep on my side or my stomach and I feel twisted up a little in my lower back. I am trying my best to keep my hips in alignment and preventing one leg from going longer again and making my chiropractor proud. He said my problem was "twisting my hips".

On the other hand,
I think the Calf one is fine, Glutes, Hip Abductors, Neck, Side Deltoid, and I think the Bicep one is fine. You could double check on these too if you like.

Calves - Passive (Wall Straight Leg Calf Stretch); Isometric (Push Calf against wall with straight leg)

Hamstrings - Passive (standing hamstring one leg stretch with leg on table); Isometric (putting my leg against the wall and other laying down through the doorway using the wall to stretch my hamstring)

Quadriceps - Passive (Standing Up Quad to butt stretch); Isometric (standing up with foot on chair and quad hanging off of chair)

Glutes - Passive (Glute Stretch); Isometric (Pigion)

Hip Abductors - Passive (bringing bent leg at a 90 degree angle over body and hold with hand); Isometric (lay with my stomach on my bent leg at 90 degree angle)

Hip Flexors - Passive (laying on bench or table with one leg hanging off the bench and the other one bent pulling toward chest); Isometric (getting into a lunge with back knee on floor)

Lower Back - Passive (hanging off a poll with arms straight and it looks like your trying to sit down); Isometric (Sitting down on chair with lower back over knees or pass the knees)

Biceps - Passive (Doorway Stretch with arms straight); Isometric (Arm is straight against the wall)

Neck (upper trapz/levator scapulae I think) - Passive (turning neck to the right or left); isometric (laying face down and turing neck to the right or left as far as possible)

Side Deltoid - Passive (Arm Crossing Chest Stretch); Isometric (Arm Crossing Chest Stretch laying face down on top of arm)