ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: muslces in arm wrestling
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:05 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:11 pm
Posts: 61
Location: Mahwah, NJ
Would someone mind telling me all the muscles that are involved in armwrestling? The only one i know for sure isthe anterior delt and im pretty sure the pecs and brachials are involved too.

_________________
Muhammad

Age: 15 Height: 5'9'' Weight: 153 lbs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:41 pm 
Offline
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 2087
Location: New York City
GoLdeN M 07 wrote:
Would someone mind telling me all the muscles that are involved in armwrestling? The only one i know for sure isthe anterior delt and im pretty sure the pecs and brachials are involved too.


I'm not an exercise physiologist or trainer, but the two joint motions that I see in arm wrestling are elbow flexion and shoulder medial (internal) rotation.

I'm pretty sure that while weight exercises are beneficial for arm wrestlers, they aren't a substitute for actual engagement in the activity as a means of making progress.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:49 pm 
The most important aspect of arm wrestling is technique, its 70% of the battle. The other 30% obviously being muscle strength, with forearm/wrist strength being the most prominent. If you have weak wrists forget about it...thats the #1 priority. Internal rotators and biceps are also a part of it, as well as your back..which would be used for pulling your opponents arm towards you.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:56 pm 
Offline
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 2087
Location: New York City
JeffD wrote:
The most important aspect of arm wrestling is technique, its 70% of the battle. The other 30% obviously being muscle strength, with forearm/wrist strength being the most prominent. If you have weak wrists forget about it...thats the #1 priority.


Thanks for bringing that up. Most of the really good arm wrestlers that I've seen have great forearms.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:55 pm 
I think it also helps to have relatively long arms. If you have a short forearm, you'll be fighting an uphill battle.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:30 pm 
Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:38 pm
Posts: 139
Location: New York
I don't know a whole lot about arm wrestling, but I know the breathing plays a great role. From what I know many battles are lost when your opponent exhales.

I remember reading some interview with Pavel Tsatsuline (sp?) I believe on t-nation where, where he says something along the lines of "don't let your opponent hear you breathe"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:51 am 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am
Posts: 3474
I really like arm wrestling and since i started training, I have been keen to do it (every now and again, with friends etc). However, I saw a video(which was sick!) and also know of someone who has seriously injured themselves doing it - i dont know if they broke there arm or whatever, but the 'snapping' sound was supposed to be very loud....

Ever since then I have been very reluctant and if anyone is ever to 'challenge' me I would decide it is better to not risk injury...

Is it a dangerous thing to do? Or is it just a case of doing it properly?

Thanks

KP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:56 am 
Ive seen a couple vids of guys arms being snapped...really does make you think twice about ever doing it again lol. One actually happened in an old Worlds Strongest Man competition...Magnus Samuelsson broke the dude's arm. Dont ask me why arm wrestling was even in the competiton to begin with, since like i said its a known fact that arm wrestling is 70% technique not strength. Also just doing it with friends a grueling battle is guaranteed to give you tendonitis that can last for weeks...or even longer. Its really not worth doing it unless your challenged in front of a chick you like or its for money!

And yes as Matt said, having longer arms is also an advantage.

Stephen- I remember checking out some of the arm lifts that this one champion had...his wrist curls were just ridiculous!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:44 pm 
Offline
n00b
n00b

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:14 pm
Posts: 11
JeffD wrote:
Ive seen a couple vids of guys arms being snapped...really does make you think twice about ever doing it again lol. One actually happened in an old Worlds Strongest Man competition...Magnus Samuelsson broke the dude's arm.


I did this in the second match of an arm wrestle between a friend and I. Snap... A nice clean break of his upper arm. We kinda both looked at each other in shock for a bit and then off for a night in the hospital!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group