ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: muslces in arm wrestling
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

Would someone mind telling me all the muscles that are involved in armwrestling? The only one i know for sure isthe anterior delt and im pretty sure the pecs and brachials are involved too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:41 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

GoLdeN M 07 wrote:
Would someone mind telling me all the muscles that are involved in armwrestling? The only one i know for sure isthe anterior delt and im pretty sure the pecs and brachials are involved too.

I'm not an exercise physiologist or trainer, but the two joint motions that I see in arm wrestling are elbow flexion and shoulder medial (internal) rotation.

I'm pretty sure that while weight exercises are beneficial for arm wrestlers, they aren't a substitute for actual engagement in the activity as a means of making progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:49 pm 
The most important aspect of arm wrestling is technique, its 70% of the battle. The other 30% obviously being muscle strength, with forearm/wrist strength being the most prominent. If you have weak wrists forget about it...thats the #1 priority. Internal rotators and biceps are also a part of it, as well as your back..which would be used for pulling your opponents arm towards you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:56 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

JeffD wrote:
The most important aspect of arm wrestling is technique, its 70% of the battle. The other 30% obviously being muscle strength, with forearm/wrist strength being the most prominent. If you have weak wrists forget about it...thats the #1 priority.

Thanks for bringing that up. Most of the really good arm wrestlers that I've seen have great forearms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:55 pm 
I think it also helps to have relatively long arms. If you have a short forearm, you'll be fighting an uphill battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:30 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't know a whole lot about arm wrestling, but I know the breathing plays a great role. From what I know many battles are lost when your opponent exhales.

I remember reading some interview with Pavel Tsatsuline (sp?) I believe on t-nation where, where he says something along the lines of "don't let your opponent hear you breathe"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:51 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I really like arm wrestling and since i started training, I have been keen to do it (every now and again, with friends etc). However, I saw a video(which was sick!) and also know of someone who has seriously injured themselves doing it - i dont know if they broke there arm or whatever, but the 'snapping' sound was supposed to be very loud....

Ever since then I have been very reluctant and if anyone is ever to 'challenge' me I would decide it is better to not risk injury...

Is it a dangerous thing to do? Or is it just a case of doing it properly?

Thanks

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:56 am 
Ive seen a couple vids of guys arms being snapped...really does make you think twice about ever doing it again lol. One actually happened in an old Worlds Strongest Man competition...Magnus Samuelsson broke the dude's arm. Dont ask me why arm wrestling was even in the competiton to begin with, since like i said its a known fact that arm wrestling is 70% technique not strength. Also just doing it with friends a grueling battle is guaranteed to give you tendonitis that can last for weeks...or even longer. Its really not worth doing it unless your challenged in front of a chick you like or its for money!

And yes as Matt said, having longer arms is also an advantage.

Stephen- I remember checking out some of the arm lifts that this one champion had...his wrist curls were just ridiculous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:44 pm 
n00b
n00b

JeffD wrote:
Ive seen a couple vids of guys arms being snapped...really does make you think twice about ever doing it again lol. One actually happened in an old Worlds Strongest Man competition...Magnus Samuelsson broke the dude's arm.

I did this in the second match of an arm wrestle between a friend and I. Snap... A nice clean break of his upper arm. We kinda both looked at each other in shock for a bit and then off for a night in the hospital!