legs.

abs
jacknife setup
v up crunch up
dumbell side bend

back
back pulls
pull ups wide gripe

i need suggestion on working out my lower back. and lower chest.
my plane is to split the full body work out in one day. i'm planning to workout at 600 am before work and 800pm after work. what is the best way to split my workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

any suggestion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's pretty bad, bro. You should read the stickies and put a better routine together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:26 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Are you doing anything at all for legs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:40 am 

A good program should include the following:

Some type of Squat (front or back)
Some type of Deadlift (standard, SL, etc.)
Some type of Horizontal Press (Bench Press, Dips, etc)
Some type of Overhead Press (Military Press, Push Press, DB Press, etc.)
Some type of Bent-over Row (Barbell, Dumbbell, etc)
Some type of Chin-up/Pull-up/Pull-down

To this you can add other exercises, but try to keep your workouts short. Also, try to maintain a ballance between pushing and pulling movements, and avoid too much duplication. For example, you wouldn't want to do three different types of bench press in the same workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:44 am 

If you're going to do two workouts in the same day, you might want to consider doing two different types of workout. For example, you might do a strength workout in the morning and some type of HIIT/Metcon workout (complexes, sprints, etc) in the evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:52 am 

You'll need to be careful to get enough rest however. It's easy to get too much of a good thing, and this will rapidly cut into your gains. ... Often optimal results can be achieved by doing a little less, like lifting 3 days a week instead of 5 or 6, doing fewer isolation exercises (or none at all), or performing fewer total sets. The only variables you don't want to cut back on are loading and intensity (althoug it is okay to take it easy once in a while).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

i decided to do a split workout every other day but how should i split this:
squate
deadlift
Barbell Military Press
chin up
Bench Press
shoulder press
Barbell bent rows
tricep
bicep
how many rep should i do on this i have no idea
abs workout
is this a better work out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:26 pm 

There are several ways to split this up. The obvious ones are: Push/pull, Upper/lower, Horizontal/Vertical.

I like horizontal/Vertical:

Workout A

Barbell bent Rows
Bench Press
Back Squat
Romanian Deadlift
Optional: lunge, twist, arms

Workout B

Chin up or pull up
Military Press or Shoulder Press
Front Squat
Deadlift
Optional: lunge, twist, arms

There are several rep schemes you could use. 3 x 8-12 is a good start. Cycle reps so that you get a mix of high to low reps over time.

Squats and deadlifts provide most of your ab workout, all that's missing is a twisting motion.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

im planning two work out 6 day a week. i don't want to work out the same muscle everyday so with im planning to do all of the one i listed but i want to split back, shoulder, tricep, bicep,legs,chest,far arm to oppisite day
work out A
back
shoulder
leg
far arm

workout b
chest
bicep
tricep

should i work out my far arm the same day. i notice that i beganing to curl heavier but my far arm start hurting. but my bicep could handle it. should i do the far arm the same day as my bi ceps?

another question. do you think its a effective way to work out abs between all my other sets. like do a bench press and between the set do some decline setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:38 am 

I wouldn't recommend strength training 6 days a week. Less is usually better. I would recommend Mon/Weds/Fri on strength training, Tues & Thurs some short intense cardio like HIIT, Sprints, Tabatas, complexes, etc and long slow cardio or GPP (a hike is good, so is yard work) on Saturday and active rest on Sunday.

Even splitting push/pull, which is what I think you are doing, is too much without taking at least 1 day off out of three. There are still muscles that overlap in some push and pull exercises. You will wind up trashing your shoulders and you will not be able to train with sufficient intensity to actually improve much. Upper/Lower would be a better split but you still need a day off now and then. i.e 2 on, 1 off.

I think the best way to work abs is by squating and deadlifting, including variations, some light sittups and extentions in your warmup and some twisting motion and any other heavy ab work at the end of the workout. If you want to be efficient in your workout design, train antagonistic movements back to back in superset form, such as bench press/Bent Row or OH Press/Chin Up, etc.

If you deadlift regularly and train instensly with the upper body push and pull exercises you really don't have to train forearms, biceps and triceps much. If you want add a set at the end of your workouts on Friday.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:15 pm 
Novice
Novice

stuward wrote:
I wouldn't recommend strength training 6 days a week. Less is usually better. I would recommend Mon/Weds/Fri on strength training, Tues & Thurs some short intense cardio like HIIT, Sprints, Tabatas, complexes, etc and long slow cardio or GPP (a hike is good, so is yard work) on Saturday and active rest on Sunday.

Even splitting push/pull, which is what I think you are doing, is too much without taking at least 1 day off out of three. There are still muscles that overlap in some push and pull exercises. You will wind up trashing your shoulders and you will not be able to train with sufficient intensity to actually improve much. Upper/Lower would be a better split but you still need a day off now and then. i.e 2 on, 1 off.

I think the best way to work abs is by squating and deadlifting, including variations, some light sittups and extentions in your warmup and some twisting motion and any other heavy ab work at the end of the workout. If you want to be efficient in your workout design, train antagonistic movements back to back in superset form, such as bench press/Bent Row or OH Press/Chin Up, etc.

If you deadlift regularly and train instensly with the upper body push and pull exercises you really don't have to train forearms, biceps and triceps much. If you want add a set at the end of your workouts on Friday.

Stu

i think i will do the upper/lower split. i think i will do two on one off. i been running home from the gym everytime its about 2 mile. you think that a good cardio. i'm 5 2" and about 125. i want to gain another 15lb of muscle mass.i been actively working out for 2.5 month and notice my arms are way bigger compare to my body so i came back here for help. i been working out with a friends and doing his workout. notice my upper back, and arms got bigger but not my lower back. so i'm putting dead lift and squats into the workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:04 am 

That sounds like a plan. For Lower day, do a squat variation followed by a deadlift variation. Do some unilateral work, like lunges, then calves. Do a heavy abs exercise at the end. Pick 2 exercises in each category and switch them back and forth.

For Upper Body, do something like horizontal push supersetted with horizontal pull, then follow with a vertical superset. Do any arms work at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:10 pm 
Novice
Novice

on my off day do you think its ok do a 6 mile run? i notice i have alittle gut that i want to get rid of. i'm been eating goodt.i' 23 and have a fast metabolism would this hurt my workout plan? what do you mean by vertical superset? new to alot of terms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:29 pm 

vertical superset: a vertical push (overhead press) alternated with a vertical pull (Chin up).

If you want to run in order to get better at running or if it's what you do to relax, no problem. If you are trying to lose fat, it probably won't work. Long duration cardio tends to burn muscle along with fat and it tends to make you hungry so you replace the calories you burned right away. Since the intensity is low, there is no afterburn affect. It can actually make you fatter.

A better way to do cardio is in short spurts, like sprints. Several short intense bouts of activity with brief rests all in about a 20 minute workout will burn calories long after the workout is over while preserving muscle. Because of the high intensity it actually provides a very good workout for your heart and lungs. By the way, when you do your 2 mile runs, I hope you are doing them as fast as you can and keep trying to better your time. That's the way to get the most benefit from it.

Think of a typical sprinter vs a marathoner. Which would you rather look like?

6 miles once a week is not excessive though, so don't worry about it, just don't think of it as a way of burning fat. Do it if you find it relaxing and fun.