ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:41 pm 
n00b
n00b

My new job has me working Friday, Saturday and Sunday 7am to 7pm and Monday 7am to 11am. By the time I get home after work Monday I'm beat. It takes all of the rest of Monday and most of Tuesday to recover from the 40 hour work week in 3 1/2 days. That leaves me with Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for using the gym.

I am an intermediate lifter, been lifting for about 7 years, 4 or 5 days a week for most of that time. I'm just looking for suggestions on a reasonable workout to maintain what I have, not interested in building more mass (at 48 that's too much work to even think about).

Should I just do full body workouts on Tuesday and Thursday and call it good? Or do upper on Tuesday, lower on Wednesday and cardio/abs on Thursday? Should I do something on Monday even though I'm dead beat from the stupid work schedule? (A workout before or after work on workdays is not a option.)

Thanks for any suggestions you all might have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:16 pm 

I remember someone else had a similar work situation. You should try to get a good workout in during the 3 days so that you can make use of the upcoming 4 days of no training to recover. That means that Thursday should be your heavy day. You can probably do a medium or conditioning day on Tuesday and some cardio on Wednesday. Don't go too heavy on Tuesday because you will just wear yourself out and waste the opportunity to train on Wednesday and Thursday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:19 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

With your schedule, you're right not to want to do anything on Monday. Just chill out.

You can go full body, upper/lower or push/pull. The key is to cut down on the number of exercises - no more than 5 exercises per workout and 15 sets per workout, at least until you acclimate to your work schedule. Given your schedule, you don't want to spend too much of your free time in the gym. Work out on Tuesday and Thursday, rest on Wednesday, and toss in 15 -20 minutes of cardio at the end of your workouts. Ab work can be done anytime at home, just buy a mat.

Be sure to get enough sleep.

I don't know what equipment you have available, so I didn't create any sample workouts. But compound movements should be the bulk of your routine's exercises.

Good luck with your new job. Maybe after a while they'll put you back on a normal schedule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:53 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks guys, you support what I was thinking - tuesday full body medium and thursday full body a bit heavier than tuesday. I guess I asked this here mostly because I'm just too tired to come up with something on my own.

I workout at a local gym. I've done quit a bit of studying and reading about being a PFT, but just haven't gotten around to doing the studying for the exams. The community college has courses for a PFT but they extend out over 1+ years. I hope to get certified, get a job at a gym and do some clients on my own, and not work these stupid hours anymore. But that's something I have to shoot for.

The typical workout I've been doing lately -

cable rows
lat pull-downs

stability ball dumbbell chest press
barbell upright row

curls
tri-ceps pulldowns

front deltoid raise, with arms still extended move them back to my sides and do lateral deltoid drop, then reverse - lateral deltoid raise, arms extended bring forward, front deltoid drop (I don't know if this have a name but it incorporates all 3 delts into one smooth motion)

leg extensions or leg press
leg curls

stability ball crunches
hanging knee raises

I feel like I'm not getting anywhere, stagnant, maybe it's just because I'm tired so much from working these hours. I find it hard to get motivated, that has never been a problem for me before. Maybe I need a workout partner. Hmm, maybe I just needed to express my feelings somewhere and this seemed a good place and time to do it. Anyway, enough rambling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:03 pm 

You probably don't feel you are getting very far because your workout is too easy. That type of workout might be fine for your medium day but for your heavy day at least, do Squats, Deadlifts, Presses ( I suggest barbell flat bench press and standing barbell overhead press) and Rows (I suggest Power Cleans and Barbell Bent Rows and Pullups). Do heavy sets and keep the number of exercises low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:20 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@chipw:

Although I agree with Stu as to what constitutes an effective workout, I'm not sure that should be your main concern now if you're walking around feeling tired all the time. Because if you keep walking into a gym feeling tired during this cold/flu season, sooner or later you'll walk out with a bug. Germs jump all over tired people, and the gym is one of the easiest places to pick up an infection.

Get your sleep situation as close to normal as possible. And eat as clean as your sanity allows. Citrus fruits, cruciferous veggies (broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower), greens, sweet potatoes and winter squash are cheap this time of year and are the best things to eat. Also eat some cold water fish like salmon twice a week for omega 3 fatty acids. I'm not usually big on supplements, but an antioxidant formula makes sense for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:34 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the tips guys. The dietary info is good. That is one area where I am consistently pretty good - clean eating habits. Probably my only shortfall there is flavored water (Vitamin Water) and an occasion Monster drink here at work. Otherwise, I'll have to pass on the evening news and just get to bed earlier. That would probably help a lot.