Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ExRx.net Training tool
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:18 am 
n00b
n00b

Hello,
Have not posted in a while. Hope everyone is doing well. Sorry if this topic has been brought up before, but I could not find in search.

I use this website almost exclusively for building and varying routines, choosing exercises and such. Has anyone at ExRx.net ever approached the subject of building a software that users could use to interface with this site and randomly generate routines from the exercises provided here. I am just wanting a random exercise generator....like say I pick shoulders general, dumbells and barbells, number of exercises (say 3) and it spits out 3 exercises from this site with maybe a link to the example. I know this would be a lot of work to build and a possible major effort with costs. I am not a programmer so I don't know if it could be made simple, but I know I use this site a lot.

Thanks,
PP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:47 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@PaulP:

This isn't intended as a put down, but I don't see the point of a random exercise generator on a site that is built on providing weight trainers knowledge about exercises and workouts. The goal of information gathering should be to make informed decisions.

Maybe some of the other posters disagree with me. If so, please feel free to post your reasons why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:08 am 

This idea of randomized programing is common in Crossfit type training and it's usually done with the aid of a pair of dice.

You can do something similar in Excel with the RAND function. That would give you more control over the parameters of your program.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:24 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I agree w/ Stephen, but in any event, you're better off e-mailing the business manager directly, jeff@exrx.net. I'm not sure if he monitors this forum.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:39 am 
n00b
n00b

Actually, (Edited...) Stephen I do agree with you.

But I have to say after years of pondering the subject and gathering information I am beyond the point wanting to discuss it at depth. I just want to get a good solid routine in, while my real interest lie elsewhere. I felt like there were other uses for the site too.

Your point about not taking short cuts and gathering the knowledge first should be highlighted because that is the absolute truth. I can see how spitting out exercises could dumb down that approach to the uninformed.

I have been weight training seriously for a little over 10 years now and have learned pretty much about what does and doesn't work for me in the aspect of intensity, volume, rest, injuries, etc. Even the changes I have to make with aging. This is not my field of expertise, nor do I have that level of interest to discuss it. Occasionally my interest will peak though, and I'll discuss or learn new things.

There is a lot of good information on this site for people like myself, and this was just an idea for a tool that might be used. I could even see it going further than a random generator. Remember that there is a group out there who are between the field experts and the beginners.

Not having any programming skills though, the dice idea sounds like a good start.

Thanks for the feedback,

PP

Last edited by PaulP on Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is something coming in the future where you can put workouts together. We are still working on it and the developers have some bugs to work out of it. It won't do random stuff, but I don't think random is desirable anyway. It will allow workouts to be put together by you or for you by someone else and then you can view it on a mobile device.

I don't really know what James is planning to do with it though. I would imagine it would be some kind of tiered subscription service. It needs some work, but it could end up being pretty cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:10 pm 
n00b
n00b

Ironman,
That sounds interesting. It might also be cool to be able build a workout around a primary exercise...like say squats or deadlifts or maybe even compound movements. This could be used to provide the meat of workout that could take minimal tayloring by the user based on what the user knows works for them. Anyway, I look forward what you folks put together and I would be willing to pay a service fee or premium subscriber fee or whatever it would be.

PP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, I could put some variable workouts in. Like I could add all the compound stuff on the different days and just leave guidelines for the auxiliary stuff for people to fill in as desired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:08 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I'd love a training program of some sort.

My dream utility would let me:

- sort exercises by muscles and articulations

- plug exercises into a program, and have it tick off the muscles and articulations I've got covered, so I can see what holes I have left.

- let me organize routines by movements, or bodypart, or both, with room for a multiple-week cycle. If I do ABCD over 2 weeks, I want to be able to plug in all four.

If a tool could at least do that, I'd be interested...I'll be more nitpicky when I see a final product, but hey, I'm a consumer, we do that kind of thing. :D

Peter