ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:45 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Hi guys, I'm back from the hospital. I had my surgery to fix the damage my opponent did in my last fight. They repaired my busted left eye socket by cutting a piece of my left hip bone off and grafting it under my left eye (in the socket itself), and then putting in a plate to hold it all in place. Surgery was 3/28, and I got my stitches out on 4/7. Despite my best efforts I put on about 3kg in the hospital, none of it muscle.

Now it's time to get back to work. My goal is GPP so I can get back to training MMA as soon as possible. After that I'll work on strength again, right now I'm too hurt to consider any real heavy work. Honestly, I want to get rid of this flab I picked up and get some stamina back too!

Because of the surgery on the hip, it hurts when I walk, stand too long, sit too long, stand up, sit down, etc. My hips also gets very tired very suddenly, so I may be just fine and then suddenly need to stop because of fatigue. So that kills lunges (it'll pull on the partly-healed wound), and I haven't tried squats out of sheer fear of ripping the wound open. My lower body work at this point consists of walking and slow bike riding. It may be a few weeks before I can do anything more challenging. Because of that hip I can't even do hip mobility drills on the off side (I can't balance on one leg, or even kneel on that side) or heavy upper body work - I can't exert power on that side so I can't stabilize a heavy bench or seated shoulder press.

Here's what I can do:

- dead-hang pullups and chinups. No kipping or jumping, the hip can't do that yet. Can't weight them because I can't hang weight from a hip-supported belt.
- body rows from a bar.

- pushup variations. Maybe dumbbell bench presses but I worry about holding weights over my injured face or needed to stabilize with that hip.

- rear delt exercises (rear delt flyes, seated dumbbell "power cleans")

- crunches. No situps, V-ups, or knees-to-elbows, too much hip involvement.

- walking, bike riding. One-legged balance drills that don't involve hip extension or flexion. Walking stairs 2-3 steps at a time (started doing this in the hospital a few days after I was up and walking again). Maybe low-bench step-ups.

I suppose I could do seated curls, too, but if I can do chins I don't know why I'd need to, but I'm open to suggestions. What else seems plausible and useful?

My plan:

This week, 3 workouts a week. As I improve, I'll add one or two more workouts a week, or begin mild technique training for MMA. Here's my selection of workout plans.

- AMRAP 20 minutes of 5 chinups and 5 pushups (did this last night, 11 rounds, not great but better than the 10 I was aiming for). Next time it'll be 5 chinups and 10 pushups per round.
- 50 chinups and 100 pushups and 100 crunches, for time.
- EDT style routine of dumbbell bench presses and body rows.
- supersets of rear delt exercises (rear delt flyes alternated with seated dumbbell "power cleans")
- variations on the above.

Before my workouts I'm doing non-hip related mobility work and very, very mild hip mobility drills. Afterwards I'm doing some static stretching that doesn't pull on my hip, such as my triceps, calves, pecs, etc.

What else can I incorporate? Remember this is aimed at GPP, but also it's post-surgical rehab. I know I should be doing squats and power cleans and weighted chinups and deadlifts, but that's all out of the question for at least a few weeks. When I can stand up from seated without pain, I'll start thinking about squats and see about jumping rope for cardio.

Thanks for the support guys! Sorry this post is so long.

Peter

Last edited by pdellorto on Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:36 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Glad to see you back and posting again, Pete. Your plan looks solid. You know I am into complexes for GPP, and lately youtube has been filling up on them. You might want to look them up under "Barbell complexs", Dumbell complexes, Kettlebell complexes and "Javorek's complexes". He has one out called a Barbell special complex I that is geared for the posterior chain and upper back prehab/rehab. It's kind of a killer, so I use it with only a 20 lb bar for warmups. Might be helpful for your rehab/GPP thing. Good luck and training to you Pete.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:42 am 

Pete, best of wishes for your recovery. I can't give you any specific advise. Just be patient. Let your body heal. You will know what you can and can't do if you listen to your body.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:31 am 

Thanks guys.

TimD - I'll fine those complexes. I'm not in shape to do them right now, but I'm doing to need light PC work soon.

Stuward - thanks. Yeah, I know what you mean. My body tells me pretty easily what it can't do right now. But my body also told me loud and clear I was ready for chinups and pushups, and I felt worlds better for having done them. Afterwards, physically I felt a little better, and morally I felt tremendous.

I'll keep posting questions as they come up. Right now it's chins, pushups, and walking funny. Eventually I'll be back to pestering everyone with deadlift questions and the world will be a happy place once more. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:24 am 

Good to have you back, Peter, and good luck with the recovery.

All I would add is... Eat plenty of veggies :-)

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:16 am 

Can you handle doing BW squats or with very light weight (dumbells)? What about stretching of the legs? Can you do the lunges partially? I'm just throwing at suggestions. I understand if you don't want to attempt this stuff. But if you want to try it you would probably want to do high reps with the exercises, a way to get them legs moving again.

Also good luck with the recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:19 am 

welcome back peter. I hope your not hurting too much after the surgery. Eyes and tough to operate on and the hip being something you use while lifting A LOT are two things that are very very touchy. I had a hernia operation a while back and thats just intestine and ab muscle. I think you should take your time let it all heal but at the same time as the doc for stretches that you can do while healing for your hip that wont injure or tear you open like you said. Good luck in the recovery and looking forward to you kicking some mma butt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:20 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@pdellorto:

Don't forget to duck next time. ;-)

Seriously, welcome back. Your input was missed on this board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:51 am 

Thanks guys. Yeah, if I'd tucked my head a little better the shot might have glanced off instead of inserting perfectly into my eye socket and breaking everything it hit. Oh well. I'm flattered you guys missed me, too. :)

I realize I forgot a couple of things I could do:

- back extensions on the floor ("supermans")
- Isometric holds like a plank position or hanging from the chinup bar
- gripper work! Duh!

and one framework:

Tabata (whatevers). Chinups, pullups, pushup variations, crunches, etc.

I figure I'll take advantage of my inability to do lots of MMA training to do a solid 2 or 3 day weight program. I've got a related question I'll post in a new thread later. But I may do 3 days a week of WS4SB (since it really made a visible difference in my build and a material difference in my jumping ability and strength) or a 2 day WS4SB with 1-2 days a week of metcon on top. Not sure yet...and that's a few weeks away. But previously I had to prioritize my MMA training, but now with my next fight a long way off I should take advantage and work on my strength.

Clearly, getting hit didn't dim my enthusiasm...

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:41 am 

Welcome back, Peter. I can't really say that I missed you since I'm new and haven't known you here. I enjoy watching MMA, and used to train under a MMA fighter in my Taekwando days, and I have served as fight doctor at MMA events, so I understand a little of the mentality of someone who gets their orbit blown out in a fight and is eager to get on with training for the next one! Did that punch end the fight? How is the other guy? :)

Good luck with the rehab.--Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:53 am 

Heheh, the other guy is fine. I went down from the punch, but I was temporarily blinded in one eye and deafened, so I didn't hear them call "Down!"...so I got up to my knees and tackled the guy until the ref pulled us apart. So at least I can say that if you break multiple bones in my face I'm going to get back into the fight in under a second.

Next exchange I got him in a clinch and kneed him but I missed his chin and caught him hard in the chest, but smacked my head on the ground when he took me down a split-second later. That left me a bit dizzy when they stood up back up, and with the damage to my eye socket I wasn't in good shape. So on the next exchange of punches I just folded up and in came the towel from my corner.

There are some good photos from the fight, I'm using one for my icon, here are a few others. Any shot with blood around my nose was shot after my eye socket was broken.

http://picasaweb.google.com/shusshuphoto/55

(And yes, it's in a bar...it was a club fight event, not a competition, which are either in rings or on mats.)

After the fight, me and my opponent, and the hand that knocked me into in-patient care:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/ ... 50046s.jpg
Nasty punch, nice guy.

Oh well. Like I said, it's a chance to get stronger. What I said to my friends and family was "You take out of a fight what you put into it, and I put everything into it." That's all anyone can ask for from a fighter and I'm proud that I can say that. The eye socket damage isn't so fun, though. I'd rather have lost by rear naked choke or arm bar or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:49 am 

Thanks! It looks like a lot of, ah... fun? Maybe fun from a certain point of view, at least.

I'll PM you with a couple more questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:10 am 

While I'm rehabbing, I'll keep a journal here:

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4593

That way you guys can see my progress and I can refer to it when I have questions. Maybe it'll be handy to point other people coming off a similar injury.

It's not much yet, but I'm hoping it'll soon reflect not just rehab but end with some nice PRs. I figure I'll keep it up until I'm basically "back" and then leave it off.

As always, thanks to all of you for helping me get stronger. Or in this case, get strong again.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:20 am 

Pete, good idea. However, bear in mind we cannot make entry's (that's the way it was set up) in the journal itself. You should probably open up a thread in the journal discussions.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:27 am 

Thanks Tim, I forgot about that. I opened a discussion topic in the appropriate forum and linked them back and forth to each other.