ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie looking for help.
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:30 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm fairly new to lifting( approx 3-4 months) and was at first making very little progress. But thanks to this site and lots of reading I've made changes and I think I am now beginning to see some results. I'm only a short slim guy, 5'7 tall, weighing just 136lb. I was working to a split routine, however I believe that I was not leaving enough time for my body to rest. No point in telling you what exercises I used to perform because it was such a 'mish mash'. Anyway through the combination of this Split routine and the 3 non-consecutive day full body routine that I have been using the the past two weeks I have gained between 8 and 9 pounds. I also can lift more weight, however there doesn't seem to be much difference in my physic. I'm trying to eat more, but this I find can be expensive. I also wonder if I'm burning off my increased food intake by the daily 20 mile round trip I do when cycling to and from work. I think I may also be getting a bit of a belly, which I don't want to see, I'd rather see some abs. I thought the 20 mile round trip I cycle to and from work would keep the fat at bay, but I'm not so sure it is. 10 mile each way, completed in something like 45-50 mins. (just in case you needed to know). Any help would be brilliant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:14 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

1) I gained 20lbs and I barely notice the difference. Other people do though. You will be the last person to see the difference. Ihave read that as a rule of thumb there needs to be at least a 10lbs change in body composition before it is noticable.

2) If you want to build mass you will need to eat more. This will cost more. Take it or leave it. If you cook most of your meals it will be less expensive and most likely healthier.

3) Biking 20 miles daily will cut into your gains. If must bike to work then so be it, but try to eat even more. At your body weight plus the bike, I would estimate that you need at least 2500 kCal daily to gaing anything.