ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rest & Overtraining
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:57 am 
Novice
Novice

How do you guys ensure you get adequate rest?
I've been weight lifting every other day,full body workouts, for a while now with complexes and sprints (tabata) on my off days.

I usually take a day off a week but I'm starting to think it's inadequate and I'm overtraining. Is one day of rest even enough for muscles to recuperate?

The problem is I'm pretty hooked on lifting (especially heavy lifting on the big lifts). This shouldn't be a bad thing, but considering that all of your gains come from rest, I need to make more time for it (as much as it kills me to be out of the gym).

I'm thinking of maybe trying the crossfit schedule of 3 days on 1 day off or 5 days on 2 days off..

What do you guys do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:07 pm 
Novice
Novice

I do 2 days on; 1 day off; 2 days on; 2 days off. I ensure that I get a proper amount of sleep, 6-8 hours. Some people will tell you that you need a certain amount of sleep but really there is no exact number, it varies from person to person. I also try to not over exert myself outside of weight lifting.

That's about all I do concerning recuperation from lifting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:39 pm 

You can do 6 days/wk training for a while but if 3 of them are whole body weight training and 3 are high intensity cardio, you will eventually overtrain.

Normally sustainable high frequency training is less strenuous than that.

To reduce stress you could either use a split schedule allowing more time for each body part to rest, occationally substitute some long steady cardio instead of the HIIT or add an additional rest day or 2, or some combination of these.

You can train for work capacity and recovery but like anything, training must be progressive. Don't start off with a high frequency/high volume/high intensity program. You can build up to it but you need to give yourself a break now and then. Balance frquency/volume and intensity and increase each over time rotating your focus on each. Don't go high in all 3 at the same time. Also make sure you eat enough to support your activity level.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:59 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I don't have a problem with the modified crossfit 3 on 1 off thing, but with a few qualifiers. No. 1, my metcon, complex days are not as intense as xfit. I scale it back, and it usualloy goes around 15 mins. 2nd, I go heavy on the major lifts only 2 or maybe 3 times week. For example, metcon, heavy basic (s), metcon, off repeat.You just kind of have to play around with it and listen to your body.
Tim