ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:57 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey fellas, trying to make my own excercise program basically ripped from Rippetoe's program I just changed a few things like swapping Military Press with Incline Bench, also added ab excercise to each workout A+B.

I need advice on whether you think the excercises here are well rounded. Also I want to ask you all if you think I could add Bicep Curls and Tricep Kickbacks so they get a good workout as well or if you think the excercises below hit them enough to not add curls/kickbacks to avoid injury.

Thank you.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
Ab Excercise

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Incline Bench Press
3x5 Power cleans or Rows
Ab Excercise

Mon: MT (muay thai)
Tue: weight lifting
Wed: MT
Thur: weight lifting
Fri: off
Sat: weight lifting
Sun: off

week 1:
Tuesday - Workout A
Thursday - Workout B
Saturday - Workout A

Week 2:
Tuesday - Workout B
Thursday - Workout A
Saturday - Workout B

and on and on....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:04 pm 

The arm work is not required as these exercises will hit them anyway.

It looks like you've subbed incline bench for military press. I find that standing military press does wonderful stuff for your core that you will not get from incline presses but fundamentally it's not a horrible substitution.

The ab exercises are probably not going to hurt but they are not required either. The compound exercises will work your core.

The big question is whether the workouts bother your MT sessions. You won't really know until you try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:12 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the tips, I was questionable about switching out Military Press with Incline as well, if it's not ideally recommended I'll switch back.

Thanks for the arm workout info, I thought so but I wasn't sure and I want to make sure my body grows proportionately.

Going to start this as soon as I return from vacation and keep it posted in a journal, thank you.

*EDIT*
I swapped military press b/c I only have a smith machine but I just realized I also have a shoulder press at the gym I can use. lol
And the Rows would be Pendlay Rows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think you ought to consider doing some kind of overhead press. Athletes with predominately horizontal press work and no overhead press work are more likely to develop shoulder problems (according to Rippetoe at least). And since we're talking about Starting Strength, Coach Rippetoe believes that for every bench press workout there should be at least one press workout.

You could consider alternating bench and incline every other bench workout if you really want to include incline. I can't say this will work for everyone but I think the added variety has helped my bench press improve more rapidly than it did before I started alternating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:41 pm 

Make sure it's a standing military press. That is, clean the bar to your shoulders and press it up. The stabilizers work much more on this exercise than any press you can do on a smith machine or seated. The same goes for the other exercises. Make sure you use just a bar, not a smith machine. You want to take full advantage of the free weight. Ideally, do your exercises in a squat cage so you can use spotter pins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:43 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

stuward wrote:
Make sure it's a standing military press. That is, clean the bar to your shoulders and press it up. The stabilizers work much more on this exercise than any press you can do on a smith machine or seated. The same goes for the other exercises. Make sure you use just a bar, not a smith machine. You want to take full advantage of the free weight. Ideally, do your exercises in a squat cage so you can use spotter pins.

Thanks for the advice.
The only reason I cannot military press is because I don't have a freeweight barbell. I can either use smith machine, shoulder press machine, or I can try Military Press with dumbbells but I haven't tried with dumbbells... what would you recommend in this case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:52 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Press with the dumbbells. What kind of gym doesn't have an olympic bar? Curves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

brook011 wrote:
Press with the dumbbells. What kind of gym doesn't have an olympic bar? Curves?

It's just my general gym at my apt complex.
I'll try MP with dumbbells and see how it goes, thank you!