Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Initiation
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:30 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hey there...
I'm seriously just testing this out... I'm pretty sure this is the first post. Um, so... how about a topic. Wrist Straps. I've never used them for fear of losing grip strength but now my shrugs need to be challenged more. Any comments on how to develop grip strength (other than the potential in wrist curls) or concerns/recommendations for someone considering using Wrist Straps?
Thomas

Post subject: Grip
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:37 pm 
For the shrugs, I would not use the wrist straps as much as possible, ie all warm up sets and first few work sets just use your normal grip. When they get to heavy, then use the straps.

As far as additional grip training, I like doing gripper training such as those with the Captain of Crush grippers. They are really great pieces of equipment. If you have smooth weight plates, plate pinches can also be a great way to develop pinching strength in the fingers. If you do olympic lifts, this develops grip a little different because you need to be able to maintain grip under a rapid acceleration during the lift, which is different than say a slow grind pull in the deadlift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:03 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, If I'm going for an overload for the back, I will use them. Grip strength, well Ryan covered some good ones. I addition, sandbag lifting from the floor on up will definatel help. Another is to way overload your DL, put the bar in a rack just above the knees, DL it up and just hang on to it until it starts to go, fight it, and control it down to the catch pins.
Tim

Post subject: Grip strength
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:23 am 
Thick bars work grip strength very well.

I have 1.25", 1.5" and 2" bars and use them with standard olympic lifts as Ryan suggested. Also - farmers walks with the two inch dumbells work well.

my $0.02.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:17 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you want a complete alternative to gaining incredible grip strength, go bouldering at your local rock climbing gym.

But if you want normal grip strength enhancers, there's been some proven data that a larger width (in terms of thickness) barbell improves grip strength. I'm not exactly sure how you could apply this, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:35 am 

I use wrist straps but it is because my hands are fubar. The long term result of the joys of being a lineman. It hurts when you are pulling on something and your thumb gets dislocated every single time. Without a doubt, my forearms do suffer because I wuss out and use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:26 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Sounds like you already got some good advice on grip stregth. As for wrist straps, I only them for barbell rows (overhand grip). For shrugs and deadlifts I use a mixed grip, and I would recomend you do the same if you're not already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:32 pm 

Also, when using a mixed grip, alternate between sets. If your right hand is overhand and your left underhand on your first set, then keep your left hand overhand and your right underhand for your second set.