Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:57 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Hoister wrote:
I am in a similar vein as TimD - prefering to alternate between strength movements with little to no rest between. Here is a sample from today's workout:

The current issue of Muscles and Fitness has a 6-week get-lean program that uses compound freeweight exercises only - no cardio.

I'm tempted to try it once I finish my current program this month. I don't think that I can totally give up cardio, though

PS - here's another one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:35 am 

Thanks, Stephen, i'll check that link out.

I am the opposite from you by the sounds of it - you CAN'T get me to do traditional cardio - it bores me to death (it doesn't help that i have the attention span of a stone, either).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:53 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Hoister

The routine in the print version of Muscles and Fitness (not available online yet) uses low-skill strength building compound movements, not the Olympic variants that your routine does. They do use high repetitions with relatively lighter weights and brief rest periods. The goal is to preserve, rather than add lean body mass while shedding fat.

My Olympic lifting is a little too spotty for me to do a program like yours yet. But I'm working on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:17 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Stephen, on your first link, I couldn't get the other one to open, but I doubt if it's anything either myself or Hoister hasn't seen. And O lifts aren't the only thing that could be used. A good example would be a 4 circuit setup of chinups, squat, P bardips, semi sumo DL with DB's, one after the other in the 10 rep range. On the O side, you could really dumb it down with powerclean from the hang (not alot of technique required), go into a front squat, come up with a push press, put the bar down behind the neck and squat, come up with a backsquat pushpress. For endless combinations, see
http://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html
Scroll down towards the bottom for endless combos,
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:28 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Faisal wrote:
strathmeyer: I will do my best to strengthen my calves, because I would still love to run every now and then. On the treadmill is nice, but nothing beats a nice run in the park during a good day.

By toes raises I mean putting your heels on a leg press machine and raising your toe like in the links Stephen posted. Shin splints are caused because the calf is too strong/tight and this pulls the tibial muscle away from the bone. Stronger calves will make the problem worse.

I had major shin splints for about two years. I didn't know what they were for a long time. When I learned what they were, I cut out all running besides playing Ultimate and took tons of Ibuproferin and stretched my calves constantly. When that didn't work, I tried duck walks, but if I stopped doing duck walks the shin splints would come back. Finally I started doing toe raises and this got rid of the shin splint permanently. I no longer need to take Ibuproferin or stretch my calves before playing Ultimate, run all the time on asphault, and am 100% pain free in my shins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:51 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

is hitt better for fat lost or low intensity 20-30 mins better for fat lost i know hitt speeds up your metabolism after u done the cardio for up to so many hours and keeps u from losing muscle but low intensity is primarily for fat lost i hear im not to sure if u lose more muscle doing low intensity and is it true that fat does not burn until 20 mins if so when does muscle burn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:46 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Gsus wrote:
is hitt better for fat lost or low intensity 20-30 mins better for fat lost i know hitt speeds up your metabolism after u done the cardio for up to so many hours and keeps u from losing muscle but low intensity is primarily for fat lost i hear im not to sure if u lose more muscle doing low intensity and is it true that fat does not burn until 20 mins if so when does muscle burn

HIIT is better for fat loss (without lean tissue loss) than LSD (long slow distance) cardio. If your only concern is building muscle, HIIT is for you. If you're interested in your overall health, I would mix HIIT and LSD workouts. Each one helps the other in improving your cardio fitness.