ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

There is a triathlon coming up at the end of the month that I am considering training for. My question is, if I train for endurance will it hurt my size and strength gains? The plan would be to endurance train 5 days a week while also keeping up my 4 day a week lifting program. Should I just eat more to offset the extra amount of calories burned and that will negate any loss in strength and size while still improving endurance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:25 am 

IMO, if you're going to train for a triathlon, make that your priority. Don't try to do everything at once or you won't do any of it well, and could risk injuries. You can do a little strength training along with your Ironman training, but you should expect some losses in strength and size. This will come back quickly once you stop the endurance and get back to your normal training. Since it's only a month away, you could cut out strength training almost completely and get it back quickly. Pay attention to recovery while training.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:53 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Quote:
MrWonderful wrote:
There is a triathlon coming up at the end of the month that I am considering training for. My question is, if I train for endurance will it hurt my size and strength gains?

Yes. And I can provide you with a written guarantee on it.

It a lot like taking a long trip in a car vs a 18 wheel truck. You'll be able to travel further faster with a lighter load.

The body is a very efficient machine. It will begin to lighten you load by cutting body fat and some muscle.

Also, some physiological changes will take place, the bigger, faster, stronger fast twitch muscle fiber will shrink (you'll lose strength) and your smaller slow twitch muscle fiber will increase.

That because you don't need to be exceptionally strong to compete in a triathlon, you need endurace.

Training for strength, size and endurance is "multitasking." Research show that "multi-tasking" is a very ineffective method of doing ANYTHING.

An example of "multitasking" is a woman driving and putting on make up at the same time. How well does that work?

"Multasking" is like chasing two rabbits. And as someone once said, "If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both."

So, like Stu said, focus on one thing at a time.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:23 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the replies but I'm kind of disappointed. Why can't I have my cake and eat it too? Anyway, I'd much rather to continue to build muscle seeing as that has been my focus for the past four months and switching my goals when I'm really starting to see progress seems nonsensical. By the way, I was only going to do a sprint triathlon. Doing an Ironman would be insane in probably would take a year of training to complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:39 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

MrWonderful wrote:
By the way, I was only going to do a sprint triathlon. Doing an Ironman would be insane in probably would take a year of training to complete.

According to this, a sprint triathlon consists of a 750 meter swin, a 20K bike ride and a 5K run. That's a far cry from an Ironman-length triathlon. I'm not much of a swimmer, but biking 20K and then running 5K is something I could do (though not at record speed) fairly easily. I don't see how training for that would cause a major hit on your muscle gains.