ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:12 am 
n00b
n00b

hi there. i'm an 18 year old college student. i am adamant on removing the excess fat around on my chest that has been nagging me for c.6 yrs. any suggestions on possible excercise. i think i'd rather not go to a gym, but every suggestion would be great. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:34 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Dont be fooled into thinking you can just remove the extra fat on your chest alone. You will need to lose ALL your extra fat on your body. Your body will decide when it's time to devour the fat on your chest. See this link: http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html

If you dont want to go to the gym, do Cardio for 45 mins for 4 day's in a week, with rest periods on other days. Cardio Monday, Tuesday, rest wednesday, Cardio Thursday, Friday and weekends off.

You will also need to look at your diet. You need to be eating at least 5 meals a day to speed up your Metabolism, but what you eat is important.

You will find loads of examples on the forums if you search.

Example Cardio exercise: If you have a bicycle, ride fast for 45 mins. Or even walking briskly for the same time period will do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:37 am 
n00b
n00b

Assuming these boobs are of the accumulation of fat type and not the hormonally induced type, you need to lower your overall bodyfat. You need to hit the trifecta: resistance training, cardio, and diet. Whether the exercise is in gym or not doesn't matter. Don't drink too much beer in college or those boobs will get worse!

Seriously, if these are "gyno" (IOW induced by high estrogen, progesterone, or low DHT) they might go away as you finish out puberty. Sometimes surgery is nec. to remove the gland. There are other remedies involving drugs but certainly see a doctor if you think its gyno. Do some reading on it. Do you have a swollen gland under the nipple? Do your nipples ache, burn, or itch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:17 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is what I learned from the discussion forums in this site alone:

1) when you begin a weight training program, expect to lose weight first before you gain weight from muscle mass;
2) eat within 1/2 hour after you train to replenish the nutrients of your damaged muscles;
3) If you don't eat (properly) in conjunction with your workout (2 above), you'll eventually starve yourself as your muscles use up your reserves. :idea:

So, in my interpretation, if you want to get rid of your fat, eat less, eat better, weight train.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:49 am 

If you are generally healthy, and you are normal in terms of overall sexual development, it's probably not a hormonal problem. If there is a firm gland under the nipple, the best thing is to wait patiently, and they'll probably go away. Only occasionally will a guy needs surgery for this.

But 99% of "man boobs" are just fat. There are no exercises that will remove fat in a selected part of your body.

Cardio alone is not an efficient way to lose fat. High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is far more efficient. There is lots of information on this on the web. Google "HIIT" and you'll have all you can read.

In addition, resistance exercise is important for losing fat. Increasing your muscle mass will "boost" your metabolism to burn more calories all day long. Being stronger will make it easier to be more active in all parts of your life.

I'm in the minority in the medical world, but I no longer believe that low-fat eating is the best way to lose fat. Low carbohydrate eating will do more to control your body's fat metabolism. Dietary fat is not the enemy, carbs are. There's a lot more detail elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:18 am 

For fat loss, possibly the best rigime is:

3 days/week: resistance training
2 days/week: HIIT + cardio
2 days/week: cardio

For resistance trg, do a general strength program, 45 min - 75 min based on basic compound movements. The HIIT workout should be 5 min warmup, 10-20 min intervals trg, 5 min break, 20-30 min slow cardio. Cardio day should be about 1 hour long slow cardio (brisk walk is best).

The resistance trg will not accelerate the fat loss, but will help sustain the loss once you meet your target.

Cardio alone will not cause you to lose fat. A proper diet is required. The above regime along with a proper diet will cause you to lose weight and the man boobs will disappear along with the rest of the fat.

Note that although I gave you 7 workouts there should be 2 days of no workouts. That means some days you need to do 2. Your resistance trg workouts should be 48-72 hours apart and should be the priorty workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:03 pm 

May I reccomend some zinc supplementation (a multi-vitamin pill that has the 100% RDA will do just fine).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:57 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

julius wrote:
hi there. i'm an 18 year old college student. i am adamant on removing the excess fat around on my chest that has been nagging me for c.6 yrs. any suggestions on possible excercise. i think i'd rather not go to a gym, but every suggestion would be great. thanks

That is exactly why you have manboobs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:05 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Thats maybe a bit unfair brook!

I would imagine the thought of going to the gym with manboobs would be a major hurdle. Plus, he's a college student, so I would guess money might be an issue too.

If you want rid of the manboobs, take the advice here, but you will have to be committed to the task in hand. There's no prizes for cheating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:16 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Sir, I used to weigh easily 300 and had ridiculous manboobs. Most college students have a free college gym to go to. And they don't go away, size wise, they just get hard. I'm being tough in my response, because you can't magically spotloss fat, and for this guy, it will obviously require a lifestyle change that includes either the gym, or a pair of running shoes.. -- gym being the better choice. Or start doing some damn pushups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:22 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

brook011 wrote:
Sir, I used to weigh easily 300 and had ridiculous manboobs. Most college students have a free college gym to go to. And they don't go away, size wise, they just get hard. I'm being tough in my response, because you can't magically spotloss fat, and for this guy, it will obviously require a lifestyle change that includes either the gym, or a pair of running shoes.. -- gym being the better choice. Or start doing some damn pushups.

I agree with brook. If julius' man boobs are due to his being overweight, he will have to overcome his aversion to the gym to get the best possible results in getting rid of them. Cardio and diet can be done outside the gym, but resistance training is best done in the gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:44 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

If you look at his post, he states he wants to lose the fat on his chest.

You dont need to lift to do this.

He can acheive this in his living room if he wants to. The guy probably has his reasons for not attending the gym. We should ask him why he doesn't want to go? In my experience, if he goes to the gym he wont be ridiculed if thats whats bothering him. He's a beginner most likely. Eveyone has to start somewhere.

As long as he eats well, and burns more calories than he eats, he will lose weight and acheive his goal.

Then maybe his next goal will be to join a gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:38 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Rik-Blades wrote:
If you look at his post, he states he wants to lose the fat on his chest..

He also said that he was adamant about losing the fat on his chest.` That suggests a willingness for all out effort - or does it?

One of the things we all learn as we mature is that in order to get the things that we want we sometimes have to do things that we don't like to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:15 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Exactly why I was being soo hard about it. When I was 18, I drank 2 liters of coke daily and my meals usually consisted of pizza/fries/fastfood, and going to the gym had no appeal to me. I'm not saying that is his case, but you have to eventually set a diet and exercise foundation, or the smaller problem of manboobs becomes the eventuality of overweight/obesity in your 20s as your metabolism slows with aging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:34 pm 

Rik-Blades wrote:
Thats maybe a bit unfair brook!

I would imagine the thought of going to the gym with manboobs would be a major hurdle. Plus, he's a college student, so I would guess money might be an issue too.

If you want rid of the manboobs, take the advice here, but you will have to be committed to the task in hand. There's no prizes for cheating.

the majority of universities and colleges out there have weight rooms

and i totally didnt see brook say that right after you... sorry.

but yeah you generally don't get made fun of in gyms.. in fact i dont think ive ever seen anyone made fun of in the weight rooms ive been to ever.