All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dynamic Tension
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hello!!

What are your thoughts on DYNAMIC TENSION

I'll share my story first...

So I've been messing around with Dynamic Tension exercises for about a year now. As a college student struggling to find time to go to the gym. I developed a system of strength training, and flexibility training that could be performed quickly and efficiently with no equipment. On top of that, I only had a tiny dorm room to perform my exercises.

Like most people, I wanted it all. I wanted a to lose body fat, and build muscle. Most importantly I wanted to address my musculoskeletal dysfunctions. I played a lot of sports and many people would think of my as a awesome athlete and having a great body to begin with, however I know that my ankles, knees, hips, lower back, shoulders, elbow and neck, all had some unbalanced strength and flexibility. I know for a fact, that my pursuit of an athletic career was negatively effected by these dysfunctions.

Now that I was no longer involved in athletics, I was able to focus on correcting these problems instead of following a "group program" designed by my schools strength coach. It had been a while since I had worked out, so I wanted to start slow, take it one step at a time.

I created a program based on the concept of Dynamic tension (before I had even heard of the term). I would perform my exercises 3 times per week, for about 20 minutes. I would do this workout right after getting out of the shower in the morning. When muscles are loose and warm.

After about 4 weeks I began to notice dramatic gains. My arms were getting much stronger, and legs were beginning to straighten out, and my core was quickly changed from my weakest point to one of my strongest points.

I began to feel like a machine.

The great thing about these exercises are that they work antagonist vs protagonist at an equal intensity, thought the complete range of motion. This allows the lagging, or muscles that having been trained as much to quickly catch up.

Every joint in my body quickly felt stronger and stable. Loose ligaments and tendons tightened up, and feel stronger. And the tight inflexible areas,
relaxed.

It has been about a year since I first began using these exercises, since then I have moved on to using weights and more traditions methods of exercise, however I still perform some Dynamic tension exercises weekly, and obviously feel that the DT exercises played a very significant role in the gains that I have made.

I've very excited because I know that within the next few months. I will have completely fixed my musculoskeletal dysfunctions and will have the balanced body I only dreamed of having as an athlete. Once I get here, I will finally feel confident to really push it hard on an explosive, agility program, without being an accident waiting to happen. I'm already faster, stronger and much more balanced and safe than I ever was an an athlete. Who knows, maybe next year I'll put the cleats back on!!

Moral of the story is, if you haven't tried these exercises, give 'em a try. They are quick and easy, you can do them anywhere at any time, and really work. They work great for a 5 min wake up throughout the work day too!!!!

- Are there any problems or injury risk with performing these exercises long term?

- Should there be concern regarding the strength and joint angle vs. antagonist and protagonist? For example in elbow flexion. The biceps and the tri's will be worked at equal intensities thoughout the rep range. However, the strength vs joint angle chart of the biceps isn't parallel to the strength vs. Joint angle chart of the tri's.

- Are there any specific movements that should be restricted?

- Any other comments or suggestions are welcome?

-BRM