ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Too much muscle?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:01 am 
former lurker

Help! I lost 100 lb 5 years ago and have snce become a personal trainer, but still cannot solve my problem area. I run 30 miles a week or so (have run two marathons) and weight train 3-4 times a week, along with other cardio...however, lately have not worked out quite so much. My problem is that my upper thighs going into hips (tensor fascia lata?) are TOO muscled, protruding with 'saddle bags'. After my weight loss, I worked diligently on my glutes to lift my rear end up, doing leg presses, squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc., all focusing on the glutes, and I am going to stop doing so much for that area, as it has become larger. Also can't fit into some of my pants because of increased thigh, hip size, although I still am about the same weight. It is just distributed differently. Also have not been running as much, and I feel that running lengthens the muscles, giving a longer, leaner look. Which specific exercises should I back down on make thighs/hips smaller, or which ones should I do, and should I just increase cardio to work out this problem? I am working diligently on my diet, too, to eat the proper foods to see if this helps. I have worked with weights so long now that I started doing more reps, less weight, however, I am afraid of losing muscle mass. I want lean muscle, not to bulk up, as it appears I am doing. Thanks for any suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

First off, congratulations on your weight loss.

A couple of things. You admitted to reducing your work out volume. You could (not saying you are), be gaining some weight. People put on weight quickest on the thighs or belly. Also, the muscle you are gaining could be pushing out the existing fat.

Ideally, and this is general, you tend to put on more muscle with less weight and higher reps. You might try more weight and sets with less reps. This is ideal for gaining strength but you won't gain as much mass.
So, go heavy.

Finally, what does your diet look like? You might be having insulin problems, but the doc could answer better than I. You were obviously severly overweight. You might finally be showing some signs of diabetes even though you have lost a lot of weight. You might want to get your sugar checked out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:46 pm 

Hmm...maybe try some HIIT? I think that would preserve existing muscle better than cardio and still help loose weight.

Post subject: Re: Too much muscle?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:04 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

lclarkcal wrote:
Help! I lost 100 lb 5 years ago and have snce become a personal trainer, but still cannot solve my problem area. I run 30 miles a week or so (have run two marathons) and weight train 3-4 times a week, along with other cardio...however, lately have not worked out quite so much. My problem is that my upper thighs going into hips (tensor fascia lata?) are TOO muscled, protruding with 'saddle bags'. After my weight loss, I worked diligently on my glutes to lift my rear end up, doing leg presses, squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc., all focusing on the glutes, and I am going to stop doing so much for that area, as it has become larger. Also can't fit into some of my pants because of increased thigh, hip size, although I still am about the same weight. It is just distributed differently. Also have not been running as much, and I feel that running lengthens the muscles, giving a longer, leaner look. Which specific exercises should I back down on make thighs/hips smaller, or which ones should I do, and should I just increase cardio to work out this problem? I am working diligently on my diet, too, to eat the proper foods to see if this helps. I have worked with weights so long now that I started doing more reps, less weight, however, I am afraid of losing muscle mass. I want lean muscle, not to bulk up, as it appears I am doing. Thanks for any suggestions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying that your hips, thighs and glutes have too much muscle, which is making them bulky. If that's the case - ie all of the fat has been removed from the area - exercise won't trim them down.

You might try focusing more on your upper body - an underdeveloped upper body will make your developed lower body look that much larger by comparison. And when you do exercise your lower body, you should either do low reps (5 or less with heavy weight) to develop strength or high reps (12-15 with light weights ) to emphasize endurance. Stay away from 8-12 rep schemes as those are the ones that cause muscle hypertrophy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:05 pm 

Your high cardio will encourage more eating. You probably need to get your diet under control. I can't imagine that you have too much muscle. I'd like to see pictures. Like Hoosegow said, be careful of high rep sets. They will cause hypertrophy which you want to avoid. Stick with high weight, short sets, short workouts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:48 am 

lclarkcal wrote:
...and I feel that running lengthens the muscles, giving a longer, leaner look.

How does running do this?

You say that you are a personal trainer. Are you certified? With which organization?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:39 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Jungledoc wrote:
lclarkcal wrote:

A good point - running (as well as any ohter repetative motion activity) tends to tighten muscles and restrict ROM. A restricted ROM is actually more efficient for a given activity like running, but has negative consequences for overall performance. Stretching is a must to prevent overly tight muscles from distance running.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:03 pm 

Stephen Johnson wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
lclarkcal wrote:

A good point - running (as well as any ohter repetative motion activity) tends to tighten muscles and restrict ROM. A restricted ROM is actually more efficient for a given activity like running, but has negative consequences for overall performance. Stretching is a must to prevent overly tight muscles from distance running.

I was going to say that running just makes you skinny and weak, be thankful for the muscle, but that seemed a bit harsh. So I didn't say it.

I mean, can you really have too much muscle? I wish he give some of it to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:57 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jesus... running for a longer leaner look? come on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:32 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I thought on an earlier thread we learned that you cannot "lengthen" your muscles (I think it was either Kenny or KPj that totally went off about it). So I'm curious, in your opinion as a trainer, how running exactly gives you a longer, leaner look, if it doesn't lengthen your muscles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:03 pm 

Quote:
longer, leaner look, if it doesn't lengthen your muscles?
Is it possible that he is referring to fatloss? Getting fatter generally makes people wider so slimming down would give you the perception of a longer leaner look. That's all I can come up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:33 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Small muscles may LOOK longer than large muscles simply because they are thinner. Likewise, the "long-and-lean" look may simply be a product of long arms and legs with a shallow chest, while someone with short limbs and a deep chest will generally look bulkier reguardless of bodyfat %.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:35 pm 

TheHeb wrote:
So I'm curious, in your opinion as a trainer, how running exactly gives you a longer, leaner look, if it doesn't lengthen your muscles?

That's what I asked, but he no longer seems interested. Asked a question and disappeared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:23 pm 

You know it's funny ... When I first read this post, I just sort of assuned the OP was female.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:14 pm 

Hmm.... I guess I just assumed, too. He or she doesn't really say.