ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pushup question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:07 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

hey guys i know regular pushups help out a lot for conditioning and strengthening the chest. i was just wondering is there a difference between them and incline pushups? If so should i do both incline and regular pushups whenever i workout?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:55 am 

By "incline pushups" do you mean with the feet higher than the hands? That increases the proportion of the body weight on the arms, so increases the load. It might shift the work slightly to the clavicular insertion of the pecs, but not much until you get the feet way up high. If you can do PUs with the feet up, do so. I don't see any reason to do both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:38 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I see no reason not to mix them up. I do pushups, feet elevated pushups, barbell pushups (off a barbell in a rack). You can vary the hand space, do clapping pushups, etc. No need to do all of them in any one workout. Mix them up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:25 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

try to switch it up from time to time.

regular pushups
close grip pushups
wide grip pushups
diamond pushups

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:13 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

will doing 3 sets of 10 or 20 elevated or regular push ups every workout help me get my strength up for flat bench press?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:31 am 

uvhst3p wrote:
will doing 3 sets of 10 or 20 elevated or regular push ups every workout help me get my strength up for flat bench press?

Not unless you aren't strong enough to do 3 x 10 already. If you are, all it'll do for a while is improve your stamina. You'll need to keep making them harder - go from pushups to feet elevated pushups, work up the elevation on the feet more and more until you can get to handstand pushups. That'll help your strength more than just doing 3 x 10 or 3 x 20 every workout.

If you look at my log I do lots of pushups, but they aren't really helping my max bench press strength any. They're primarily helping my endurance. If I do pushups for reps I usually do them after I do a max-effort workout. So I'll do my 5 or 3 rep maximum bench pressing, and then finish that with high-rep pushups for endurance afterwards.

You won't hurt yourself if you toss in those sets after your other pushing exercises, but it won't help your max flat bench much either, and you'll need to put in more calories to replace the ones those burn, too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:43 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

uvhst3p wrote:

Like pdell said, if you cant accomplish more than 10 or 20, then sure it'll help with strength. I used to do pushups, and I always found that increasing the number done by 5 each week kept it difficult. Once I got to 100 in a single set, I stopped that and started going to the gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:46 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

uvhst3p wrote:

Shoulder Press/Military Press will help your flat bench greatly.
The more you can lift in the shoulder/military press and the stronger your shoulders get the more your will be able to lift on the bench press.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:58 am 

Bear in mind push ups can be done with X-vests, chains, and bands(any anything else you can think of). As well as feet elevated and also various unstable elements being added - feet on stability ball, hands on stability ball, one hand on medicine ball, 2 hands on medicine ball, each hand on a seperate medicine ball....

Upper back stablilty is important for benching. Since push ups train the scapula (shoulder blade) stablisers a lot, it can technically, indirectly help your bench.

Not to mention, a push up against a band with equivelant of ~120lbs makes for interesting change up. It's like everything - it's as hard as you make it...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:20 pm 

KPj wrote:
It's like everything - it's as hard as you make it...

Very true. I was thinking during my last workout at my gym that I was lucky that I only had to do thick-bar barbell pushups; I didn't have bands to resist me or chains criss-crossing my back, and I wasn't pushing off blast straps or rings. You can always make it harder.

But don't lose sight of your main goal - just getting up that bench press weight. If you get too distracted by variant pushups and assistance work, you'll eat into your recovery and your bench press will stagnate, not improve. I did those barbell pushups but I didn't do them the same day they had me benching, and I didn't do any other pushing until after I'd done my bench. Prioritize the big barbell work, that's the program that'll get you stronger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:26 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

KPj wrote:
It's like everything - it's as hard as you make it...

KPj

Thats what she said.