ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:02 pm 
Novice
Novice

KPj wrote:
I don't mind answering at all.

This is kind of complicated to answer because I still do a lot of the stuff in that program. The real 'root cause' of all my problems were all the sitting down I was doing.

I think what i'm trying to say is, once you feel this stuff working, you won't want to stop doing it. Looking back at my programs, it was after 3 months that I decided I was only interested in strength, so that could be considered to be when I 'switched'.

If sheds any more light, I believe that any program, no matter what the focus, will work on and around your weaknesses and limitations. Posture is simply a good indication of your weaknesses and limitationsso it should always be a consideration, atleast, if you want to try and perform to your potential (and stay healthy). If you do this program and get results, it will change the way you view training.
KPj

This makes perfect sense to me. Im planning on spending a few months trying to correct the problem. But, just like in your case, I still sit a lot at work. So I see what your trying to say, that after you fix your weakness, you still want to maintain what you have achieved so your weaknesses don't become present again.

When i finish with this routine, I will definately have to thoroughly re-evaluate my goals, and create a training plan that is right for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:22 am 
Novice
Novice

I have been doing the program now for almost 2 weeks. I can definately feel and see the changes.

1. My shoulders are starting to stretch back farther and farther. And when I look in the mirror I am seeing less of my back from a neutral position (IE. when i am not pushing back on my shoulder)

2. My shoulders feel less tight when I pull them back. Actually they are starting to feel tight when I push them fowards

3. The lordosis has seen less improvement though, Although I think the improvement is noticeable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:32 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Sounds great! :grin:

On the lordosis - In my experience, this is just a slower process. Especially if you sit down all day. When sitting, you can get into the habbit of keeping your chest up and getting the shoulders down and back, but there's nothing you can do for the shortened hip flexors when in the seated position, apart from stand up and move around more.

Frequency is deffinitly crucial when it comes to the hips. Well, important in everything, but all the more with the hips.

I've said it before, but everyday I feel stronger about it - if you sit down ~8 hours per day, for ~5 days per week (NOT including the sitting you do at home etc) then you need to stretch those hip flexors atleast once per day. I now stretch mine every night before bed, before every training session, during some training sessions, and I also stretch my quads regularly at work.

Keep up the good work!

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:17 am 
Novice
Novice

Just thought I would chime in with another updated here. I took pictures of myself last night. I have been doing the program for 4 weeks. Although I missed two workouts last week due to the bad weather and the gym being closed.

The pictures show a marked improvement in my posture. In my first pictures, my belly really sticks out like I am pregnant. In the new pictures my stomach is nearly flat, even though I havent lost an inch more in my midsection since starting the program.

My shoulders are quite back as far as they should be, but they are pretty close. My lordosis is still pronounced, but less pronounced than it was at the beginning for sure.

I plan to do the beginners routine for another 2 weeks most likely, before going to the advanced routine for 6 weeks. After that, I am wanting to get back to doing a modified starting strength program. Basically just adding in more stretching and activation type exercises, and doing some stuff on my off days as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:22 am 

Great. Sounds like you are making pretty fast progress - keep it up. Thanks for the update.

If the credit crunch isn't biting too much, then Cressey and Robertsons (the authors of the NNM articles) Magnificient Mobility DVD is a good buy. You get a lot of mobility drills, all aimed at the lower body, and ranging from easy to difficult. Basically, you pick 8-10 movements and do them as a warm up. Since you have the DVD, you can always pick new movements that are more difficult, therefore, you can keep progressing with your mobility. It's something I would consider after the advanced routine, when you're back to doing other programs like starting strength.

Just gives you plenty of options for the future, really...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:38 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Decline Barbell Extensions
Heels Elevated, Rock Bottom Front Squats - Can someone explain these exercises? They should be done in Neanderthal no more beginner program, but there are no descriptions of them.
And, are there any DB/BB alternatives for:
High-to-Low Cable Woodchops http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ued_f_Fs2wI
Pull-throughs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSS_nKEn ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:45 am 

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Tri ... riExt.html
Do standard extensions on a decline bench, one that can position your head lower than your hips.

The second description implies that your heels will be on a slight elevation, like a piece of 1" (really about 3/4 inch thick" lumber under your heels. Then do front squats "rock bottom" or all the way down until your bottom is almost to the floor.

I've also looked for a way to do something like a wood-chop with free weights, since the cable machine that I have access to doesn't have enough range to allow the full motion of the wood-chop. I'd like to know if someone has an idea.

Pull-throughs can be done with resistance bands. If you know how to do pull-throughs, you can figure out how to do them with bands. I looked, but can't find any video or pictures that show specifically pull-throughs with bands, but there are lots showing pull-throughs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:31 pm 

Beginner wrote:
And, are there any DB/BB alternatives for:
High-to-Low Cable Woodchops http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ued_f_Fs2wI

You can do low-to-high with a med ball or a plate. You can do high-to-low with a med ball or plate, too, but it's not the same...you're better off attaching a band overhead or to a tall post and then doing band woodchops.

It's hard to get resistance to the downward pull with a weight in your hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for replies, I will improvise something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ok, one more question:
Quote:
Prone Cobras

Lie face down on the floor with your arms lying next to your torso with the thumbs up. Initiate the movement by squeezing the shoulder blades together and raising your upper chest a few inches off the floor.

A key point: as you come up, externally rotate your arms so at the midpoint your palms are facing down. Hold and squeeze at the top, then lower under control to the starting position. You'll be doing a set of these at two positions: 9 and 3 (arms directly out to the sides) and 10 and 2 (arms slightly forward of the previous position?kind of like Superman).

How can i externally rotate arms if my thumbs are pointing up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:34 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Beginner wrote:
Ok, one more question:
Quote:
Prone Cobras

Lie face down on the floor with your arms lying next to your torso with the thumbs up. Initiate the movement by squeezing the shoulder blades together and raising your upper chest a few inches off the floor.

A key point: as you come up, externally rotate your arms so at the midpoint your palms are facing down. Hold and squeeze at the top, then lower under control to the starting position. You'll be doing a set of these at two positions: 9 and 3 (arms directly out to the sides) and 10 and 2 (arms slightly forward of the previous position?kind of like Superman).

How can i externally rotate arms if my thumbs are pointing up?

Good point, Personally I think it's a typo.

All other references to Prone Cobra's show 'palms up' before execution and the arms are rotated so thumbs are up after the inital lift and squeeze.

I'm sure KPj will clarify at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:52 am 

It confused me too, but I just assumed that they meant that "arms lying next to torso with thumbs up" would mean thumbs up in internal rotation. So, when your lying down, before you start the movement, your arms should be internally rotated until the thumbs are pointing up. Then, as you start the movement, you then externally rotate (outwards). Doing this would mean your palms are facing downwards at mid point.

It makes sense since you would be starting with a protracted and forward tilted scap, and internally rotated arms, then your moving into posterior scap tilt (chest up), retractions (back), depression(down), as well as going from internal to external rotation. This is how i've always done it.

Really though, it's a minor detail, the point in it is to get into that position with the scap posteriorly tilted, retracted, depressed, and arms externally rotated. As long as you get into this position you'll be fine.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:40 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I Just threw this together, maybe it will help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

What is a heart shaped grip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:09 am 

Beginner wrote:
What is a heart shaped grip?

Um... i'm not sure - where did you read that? The only thing I can think is doing close grip push up - bring your index fingers together and both hands sort of make a heart. But i'm clutching it straws here...

KPj

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next