ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Triathlon
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:59 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Just wondering if anyone has participated in a triathlon before and if so, what kind of training do you do to prep yourself?

I am currently training for one (date undetermined), but have no experience in this arena.

I'm 72" 190lbs and hold around a 10-12 BF%. I do however have some small right knee, lower back, hip, foot and shoulder problems due to being on airborne status for 5 years, but nothing 800 milligrams of motrin can't fix (My liver hates me). Naturally I'm not a distance runner but I am trying to see what my body can do.

I think the swimming is going to kill me, by the time I get to the water I'm sure my body will be toast. Any help from previous experence would be great. Thoughts, tips or pointers.

-Thx in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:11 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I posted this in another thread. You might find this article helpful, it discusses specifically traithlon training and enurance traning in general: http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/Endurance.html

I personaly have zero triathlon experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:30 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I could only find this on Exrx.net for triathlon training. But this looks like a comprehensive site for triathlon info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:35 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the sites fellas. I found those to have some pretty good reads.

Post subject: triathlon
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:12 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hey Merc82nd,

I've done a few triathlons so hopefully this will be some good advice
for a beginner.

First, what is the date of the triathlon? You say its undetermined...but give yourself at least 3-4 months of training.

2nd, is this a sprint distance? ( 1/2 mile swim...17-18 miles bike...5k run
in that order)
That is the distance you need to start. Its very manageable on limited experience.

Now down to brass tacks...

The programs on exrx and other sites/books are very helpful for training schedules. Don't lift weights as a part of your training if you already are a weightlifter. Some is ok but this is about endurance.

Leg presses are great for building strength in your quads for the bike...but just do a warm up set and 2 moderate sets. The sprint distance is all about the bike so this is your main focus area.

Dips and some light shoulder exercises are good for swimming muscles...but again, you need time in the pool to learn breathing, good stroke technique and lung capacity. If you can do what they call a practice swim in a nearby lake, by all means take advantage of that. It gets you ready for the thrashings arms and feet. Wherever you signed up for the race should be able to tell you if they have practice swims. Remember, in the lake there are no lanes, walls or clear views to the bottom. Also, try to do a bit of sight swimming...lifting your head every few strokes to see where you're going.

For the run, if you have knee problems like I do, you'll need to do a slow, progressive training schedule...with just a mile to begin...building up to 3.5 by race time.

Bricks...bricks and more bricks...these are basically supersets of the events; swim then bike, bike then run. Biking then running is the hardest.
But practice the swim to bike because after a 1/2 mile swim, you can be out of breath and pre-exhaust yourself for the rest of the race. Follow the brick training on any of the sites...or I can go into more detail at another time.

Bottom line:

Don't eat anything unusual before the race...get plenty of water during the 4-5 days out from the race. ( a good idea to be fully hydrated always )
Have a sports drink along with water on the bike.

You'll need to "get through" the swim...don't worry about time...just don't waste your energy trying to beat people. These are never won by the swim.

Work on your transitions...changing shoes...getting your race # on correctly...(don't worry about sun screen )

Have a good bike and take the run easy but at quick pacing (at first) to get the jelly out of your legs.

...and have fun. You'll find the atmosphere and volunteers make triathlons a great time...I love them.

Sorry for such a long post...but I have seen people hyperventilate in the swim and toss cookies on the bike/run...from lack of preparation. Not fun.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:32 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

viking, thanks a ton, that is exactly the stuff I was looking for. I know I'm gonna have problems on the swim big time, but I'm trying to get in the water as much as possible. I guess I'm gonna have to re-do my workout routine as well, because I do lift weights pretty regularly. Anyways, thanks alot.