ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:44 pm 
Novice
Novice

It is often said that someone who is a body builder, who packs on globs of muscle, is putting too much stress on the heart. The body isn't designed to be under such a strong load, that it's dangerous. There are lots of ex body builders with hearth problems, so their may be some truth to this.

So where is the truth?
At what point does carrying too much muscle become a risk to your health?
Is the problem really because of the test that they are using?

What about Marathon runners, they are putting their body under tons of stress at a higher intensity than the bodybuilder. Is this ok, because the stress isn't continuous?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:04 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Blue Running Man wrote:
It is often said that someone who is a body builder, who packs on globs of muscle, is putting too much stress on the heart. The body isn't designed to be under such a strong load, that it's dangerous. There are lots of ex body builders with hearth problems, so their may be some truth to this.

The typical weight trainer is unlikely to achieve the muscle mass of a steroid-using bodybuilder, so don't let fear of heart troubles keep you from your lifting goals.

Speaking of steroids, they can injure the heart -as well as many other organs - if they are abused.

The BMIs of championship bodybuilders are similar to those of football linemen. It has been established that retired football linemen are at higher risk for cardiovascular disease, though in fairness it has to be pointed out that the retired linemen usually stop exercising while continuing to consume a high calorie diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:52 am 

If you train naturally, development of the heart and other organs should keep pace with muscular development. Like Stephen said, once you add steroids, that changes. Taking any pursuit to an extreme will have negative impacts somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:51 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Quote:
Speaking of steroids, they can injure the heart -as well as many other organs - if they are abused.

Drinking too much water can cause hyponatramia. That will kill you.

Abuse of anything is not good for you.

Quote:
The BMIs of championship bodybuilders are similar to those of football linemen.

The BMI (Body Mass Index) cannot be and should not be applied to athletes. It is not a good indicator of health.

Also, there isn't much comparison with a bodybuilder and a football lineman, health wise. You've got apples and oranges.

A bodybuilder's diet is much cleaner. A bodybuilder does not have a gut and carry around as much body fat. You don't find many bodybuilder at 300 plus pounds, etc.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:53 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Quote:
stuward wrote:
If you train naturally, development of the heart and other organs should keep pace with muscular development. Like Stephen said, once you add steroids, that changes.

Stu,

Changes what? Steriods are not the villan they are made out to be.

Quote:
Taking any pursuit to an extreme will have negative impacts somewhere.

There you go.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:08 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Blue Running Man wrote:

So where is the truth?
At what point does carrying too much muscle become a risk to your health?
Is the problem really because of the test that they are using?

What about Marathon runners, they are putting their body under tons of stress at a higher intensity than the bodybuilder. Is this ok, because the stress isn't continuous?

Blue,

As the saying goes, "Don't judge a book by it cover." That meaning bodyweight is not necessairly an indicatory of health.

Big Fat Lies: The Truth About Your Weight and Your Health by Dr Glenn Gaesser dispells many of the myths associated being overweight.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Fat-Lies-Weig ... 469&sr=1-1

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:32 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
Quote:

The BMI (Body Mass Index) cannot be and should not be applied to athletes. It is not a good indicator of health.

The typical athlete is in his early 20s to late 30s. Most cardiovascular disease starts to appear in people in their early 40s. There are lots of overweight, out of shape people in their 20s and 30s who don't have overt coronary risk factors - yet. Technically, these people are healthy.

Athletes train for performance, not health. It is a fair question to ask if carrying excess weight - whether muscular of fatty - can lead to cardiovascular disease during middle age.

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
A bodybuilder's diet is much cleaner. A bodybuilder does not have a gut and carry around as much body fat. You don't find many bodybuilder at 300 plus pounds, etc.

Many of the bodybuilders who are 5'9" - 5'11" and 250-270# during competiton weigh over 300# during the off season. And their off season diets aren't nearly as clean as their pre-contest diets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:10 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I think the point is steroid/HGH abuse (not use) is what does the damage. Though I have nothing to back it up with, I think the wild fluctuations in weight also damages the organs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steroid abuse is a problem. You can't be on all the time. Some bodybuilders stop working out and eating right when they retire too. Just look at Mentzer. That guy went downhill in a hurry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

I have absolutely no fear of building too much muscle. Heck, I don't ever plan on weighing over 210 @ 5'10. With a body weight of 185, I'm still along way out. I also train natural so the risks of steroid abuse doesn't relate to me.

So my curiosity doesn't really come concerns about my health.

Thanks for the book recommendation Kenny, I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:41 pm 

Stephen Johnson wrote:
Kenny Croxdale wrote:
Quote:

The typical athlete is in his early 20s to late 30s. Most cardiovascular disease starts to appear in people in their early 40s. There are lots of overweight, out of shape people in their 20s and 30s who don't have overt coronary risk factors - yet. Technically, these people are healthy.

Athletes train for performance, not health. It is a fair question to ask if carrying excess weight - whether muscular of fatty - can lead to cardiovascular disease during middle age.

Kenny Croxdale wrote:

Many of the bodybuilders who are 5'9" - 5'11" and 250-270# during competiton weigh over 300# during the off season. And their off season diets aren't nearly as clean as their pre-contest diets.
There is a tad bit of bloating that goes along with some of the steroids, especially ones that aromatize. So I'm not supprised in the least that these guys drop 30lbs precontest since they are basically getting rid of all the 'bloat' water weight. If anything it would be the hardest on the kidneys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:46 pm 

Ironman wrote:
Steroid abuse is a problem. You can't be on all the time. Some bodybuilders stop working out and eating right when they retire too. Just look at Mentzer. That guy went downhill in a hurry.

What counts as steroid abuse?

What does mentzer have to do with steroid abuse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:36 am 

ironmaiden708 wrote:

What does mentzer have to do with steroid abuse?

Mike died of a massive heart attack. He was a very bad amphetamine addict for years, plus heart problems ran in his family. He did take steroids, as did everyone else in 1980. He had been retired for 20 years when he died so I don't think that steroid abuse is an issue.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... ew+mentzer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:35 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

ironmaiden708 wrote:
There is a tad bit of bloating that goes along with some of the steroids, especially ones that aromatize. So I'm not supprised in the least that these guys drop 30lbs precontest since they are basically getting rid of all the 'bloat' water weight. If anything it would be the hardest on the kidneys.

Most of the pre-contest prep that bodybuilders do involves rigorous dieting and cardio, which makes me think that they are trying to get rid of more than bloat. If all of their off season weight gain is due to steroid-induced bloating, wouldn't tapering off steroids alone do the trick?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:55 pm 

Stephen Johnson wrote:
ironmaiden708 wrote:

Most of the pre-contest prep that bodybuilders do involves rigorous dieting and cardio, which makes me think that they are trying to get rid of more than bloat. If all of their off season weight gain is due to steroid-induced bloating, wouldn't tapering off steroids alone do the trick?

Depends on the steroids, long half life roids could take months to get out of the system (ex: deca-durabolin).