ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:49 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I'm having a 4ft Punch Bag delivered soon.

I dont know the first thing about using one! Can anyone suggest a routine for beginners? My goal(s) are fatloss and power/co-ordination.

Thanks in advance,

Rik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:41 pm 

Step One- Put on gray sweats and sweatshirt

Step Two- Eat three raw eggs

Step Three- Put on boxing gloves

Step Four- Punch bag repeatly hard :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As it so happens. my soon to be misses did some cardio kickboxing. It involved punching and kicking patterns as well as some body weight exercises. I'll see if she remembers anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:52 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

What I always done with my bag was learn some combos and work each of them for 3 minutes. First would start of a simple jab-punch. Well, that's in my head, anyway, actually the coach that taught would call a straight right across the body a "cross' funnily enough, so, 'jab cross' (left right). Set a timer, and go for it. Move around, act like you're actually punching someone, so, hit them with whatever combo and move, and keep moving. Then I would add a punch - jab, cross, left hook, again, move around as soon as you've delivered it, and keep moving. I would normally do 3-5 different combos like that, then do one 'round' mixing it up. One tip would be once you've moved and are going into hit it again, you need to attack it. I was always getting checked for waiting on the bag swinging back into position - you need to go straight after it. Makes for a good workout.

Normally this was done for speed/technique so not putting everything into the punches. My own bag isn't that heavy so punching it with everything sends it all over the place, you really need a heavy bag for that. Keep the guard up, too, and breath out on each punch. The breathing part is actually quite hard, but ifyou don't master it, you'll die within 3 minutes. The coach I seen made me shout "BAH" on every punch, to make the breathing become habbit.

Of course, no matter what you're told, for the first few weeks atleast, all you're going to do is punch the hell out of it, and try and do some text book Van Damme kicks - you know, the 4 kicks he uses in every film! Not to mention the noise he makes. Think kick boxer, kicking the tree. Personally, that's my favourite work out. Just say, "LIKE THIS! BAAAH, LIKE THIS, BAAAH" ("wiggle palm tree"). Feels great.

Anyway, that's about all I know. I done a summer in a boxing club once, so I know some basic drills which were always enough to keep me amused, but I don't know much beyond that.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:25 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ironman wrote:
As it so happens. my soon to be misses did some cardio kickboxing. It involved punching and kicking patterns as well as some body weight exercises. I'll see if she remembers anything.

If she can spare the time, that would be great! I've had a look around the web for some patterns/combos and not really found anything of use. There seems to be a bit of a hole regarding this, maybe i'm just not looking in the right places. Does anyone know of a link?

KPj wrote:
What I always done with my bag was learn some combos and work each of them for 3 minutes. First would start of a simple jab-punch. Well, that's in my head, anyway, actually the coach that taught would call a straight right across the body a "cross' funnily enough, so, 'jab cross' (left right). Set a timer, and go for it. Move around, act like you're actually punching someone, so, hit them with whatever combo and move, and keep moving. Then I would add a punch - jab, cross, left hook, again, move around as soon as you've delivered it, and keep moving. I would normally do 3-5 different combos like that, then do one 'round' mixing it up. One tip would be once you've moved and are going into hit it again, you need to attack it. I was always getting checked for waiting on the bag swinging back into position - you need to go straight after it. Makes for a good workout.

Normally this was done for speed/technique so not putting everything into the punches. My own bag isn't that heavy so punching it with everything sends it all over the place, you really need a heavy bag for that. Keep the guard up, too, and breath out on each punch. The breathing part is actually quite hard, but ifyou don't master it, you'll die within 3 minutes. The coach I seen made me shout "BAH" on every punch, to make the breathing become habbit.

Of course, no matter what you're told, for the first few weeks atleast, all you're going to do is punch the hell out of it, and try and do some text book Van Damme kicks - you know, the 4 kicks he uses in every film! Not to mention the noise he makes. Think kick boxer, kicking the tree. Personally, that's my favourite work out. Just say, "LIKE THIS! BAAAH, LIKE THIS, BAAAH" ("wiggle palm tree"). Feels great.

Anyway, that's about all I know. I done a summer in a boxing club once, so I know some basic drills which were always enough to keep me amused, but I don't know much beyond that.

KPj

Thanks for that, yes i'm sure for the first few weeks i'll be re-living my childhood and pretending i'm Bruce Lee! (untill my knees start to complain!) Sounds like a good start, the bag should weigh around 80lbs (36kg) so it's not the heaviest bag, so it should move around quite a bit.

What I have read is that routines may generally only last a few minutes as it can be very a intense workout. So does it fit into cardio or HIIT?? I'm thinking of using it more for replacing my swimming when I cant make it to the pool. I've been getting great results from the swimming (mainly because i'm a terrible swimmer, so an hours swim is pretty intense too!), but I would like some options for encouraging fat loss. I'm not at all overweight, I can just about make out my lower abs now, getting them to completely appear is getting harder now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:13 am 

This might seem like a dumb or insulting question, but it's serious and important:

Can you punch?

You're going to be throwing punches against a resistive surface over and over again, hard and fast for a training effect. Throw one bad, hard punch and it's injury time - sprained wrist, broken finger, fractured phalanges, or even just a general "ouch I need a break." There is a reason cardio boxing classes punch air, or put on gloves and hit soft hand-held mitts.

If you don't know how, I'd really advise you to learn. Find someone who even knows the basics of hitting actual objects and ask them. Boxing or kickboxing is ideal, since they do so much bag work, striking-heavy martial arts folks are good too if they practice hitting hard objects. In either case you want someone who knows how to throw a punch from the ground up, no just stand still and push their arms out at the target.

An 80# heavy bag is fine, I have a canvas one I use. You'll need gloves, too, and I'd recommend learning how to bandage your hands or wrap your wrists to cushion the shock. Punching hard things isn't really what your hands are meant for, so protect them.

Not to be a big downer, but before you hit a bag hard and often, you should learn to do it. It's potentially injurious if you do it wrong, and if you do it right you're also developing a real skill.

For routines and basics I'd check out:

http://www.rossboxing.com/
http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5
http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym18.htm

Have fun with the bag!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:39 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Thanks Peter,

I'll be sure to do it properly, great links and sensible advice as usual.

Regards

Rik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:39 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Watch some DREAM, PRIDE or some UFC then go crazy with some Music, Stemm