ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:49 am 
former lurker

Hi, I'm a a 18 year old girl in need of some help.
I've trained before but I've always stopped again because the fitness center is located in the city and I live outside the city.

So now I've decided to try to work out at home, my boyfriend has some dumbbells that I can use.
The problem is that I don't really know what I should do.
My goal is to lose weight and get fit.

Also my boyfriend has a question: When you say Low-volume training and you say one set does that mean that doing only one set of 8-12 reps is enough exercise for that muscle group for that workout?

So if anyone her can give me some good advices I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Danarollan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:15 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

First off, at this stage, you need a beginner's routine that will cover the major muscle groups with compound exercises, combined with a good diet. That in itself, for a beginner, will start the ball rolling. Beginner's have the lucky ability to loose fat and build a little muscle at the same time just due to adaptation. That will change after you gain experience, but worry about that later. Please see our sticky entitled "a small collection of routines" for the beginners recommendations. As to diets, I'm just going to give general guidelines. Pls read
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... habits.htm
This is a general guideline for a healthy diet, and fatloss should take care of itself when coupled with a good solid beginners routine. We can fine tune it for your goals in a few months after you get the ball rolling and the initial fatloss/fitness gains start to plateau.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:19 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

check out the sticky about BB/DB/KB complexes as an aid for weight loss too. And good luck!

Post your progress and if there's anything you're struggling with ask away and we'll do our best to help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:01 am 

Some things that haven;t been addressed;
A lot of the routine samples in the sticky are based on Barbells. Just use the Exercise and Muscle Directory on this site to find a suitable substitute using DB's. For instance, a Squat can be done with DB's , either hanging down at the sides (which makes it something in between and squat and deadlift), or holding the bells up on the shoulders.

As to low volume, it means 1 or 2 work sets (top weight) for that exercise - not necessarily for the group. Coach Ian King likes to use a main exercise for about 1-2 work sets on a main move like BP, then folow it up with a set of an auxiliary move, say DB inclines. Low volume can be interpreted loosely. It's just based on the belief that more is not always better. If you can work intensly, based upon your goals, a couple of work sets may be all you require to stimlate growth. You may not need to beat it to death with set after set.
Tim