ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:19 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

So when I was deadlifting today I noticed on my final set that I wasn't quite coming up even, and it looked like my right side was coming up slightly faster than my left.

I dropped the weight down and asked someone there to watch me do it again with a lighter weight. This time I didn't notice it in the mirror, but he said that my right side was coming up slightly faster as well, but apparently it gets more pronounced with more weight. Is this normal? Should I be worried? Drop weight and focus on form for a bit (I hate dropping weight, my deadlift is relatively weak as it is.)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:30 am 

I'd suggest doing single-leg work for a while, step-ups, Bulgarians, etc. Don't be afraid to get heavy with those. Always work your weak side first, and then don't do any more reps on the strong side than you did on the weak side. After 2 or 3 weeks, try DLing again, and see if you are more even.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:15 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I second the single leg stuff. There's no other way you'll be able to get both sides even...

One side coming up faster isn't all THAT common. But, the thing that comes to mind is a hip flexor/quad length discrepancy. One hip will would get down to the bar easier that way. The bad side would cause inhibited glutes, and so the good side would take the brunt of it to get the bar moving.

I'm just brainstorming there. One way to figure out if i'm close is to do rack pulls (half ROM DL's), as these wouldn't challenge your hip flexor flexiblity and both sides would then be pretty even. Of course, if the other side is already stronger, then it might still be one sided. So, we're back again to single leg stuff.

yeah, in short, do single leg stuff. YOu could make it more specific and just do single leg DL's.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:36 am 

KPj wrote:
yeah, in short, do single leg stuff.

That.

You can do both - for a long time now I've been doing heavy bilateral work followed by lighter unilateral work. Just yesterday was 5-rep box squats followed by 8-rep reverse lunges. I've done 3-rep DLs followed by 15-rep step-ups or single-leg RDLs, too. Lots of variations around this:

ME bilateral 1-5 reps
Unilateral 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps

Seems to work well. It can keep reinforcing that imbalance a little with the bilateral portion but you're doing extra work to bring up each leg. Since like Jungledoc says you start with the weak side (the slower side, in your case) and match the stronger side to it, you'll slowly but steadily catch up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:00 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks folks -

I actually have just started doing some unilateral work after my deadlifts, so rather than alternating I guess I should just always lead with me left - does that make sense - I guess my question is just if there is any serious risk of injury in continuing with the DLs until I have it sorted?

Its funny but now that I am thinking about it I think this imbalance might have been there in my squat as well (which I am taking a break from at the moment).

I used to (I know GASP) use the leg press machines -- until i started really trying to spend some time learning about the right and wrong way to do things that is :roll: -- I remember hearing that or some people using those types of machines they will overcompensate and do a disproportionate amount of the work with their stronger leg causing it to get disproportionally stronger than the weaker one. Does this make sense as a possible explanation for what I am seeing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:32 am 

aye bacchus what you're saying about the leg press is pretty much spot on. I wouldn't stress too much about your side to side discrepancy I get it a bit sometimes squatting on really heavy efforts. I don't think you need to stop deadlifting completely til you get it sorted, just really concentrate on your form and do single leg work like has been suggested.