ExRx.net
http://exrx.net/forum/

Elbow pain recently after doing dead lifts...any ideas why..
http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6061
Page 1 of 1

Author:  js2003 [ Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Elbow pain recently after doing dead lifts...any ideas why..

Thanks, I have been doing dead lifts for about 6 years and suddenly in the last month, the outer part of my elbow hurt after doing dead lifts,

Any suggestions or ideas why or should I just take a few weeks off or substitute with straight leg dead lifts instead

thanks
john

Author:  Stephen Johnson [ Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Elbow pain recently after doing dead lifts...any ideas w

js2003 wrote:
Thanks, I have been doing dead lifts for about 6 years and suddenly in the last month, the outer part of my elbow hurt after doing dead lifts


Are you using a mixed grip? If so, which elbow of which arm (pronated or supinated) is sore? Also if you use a mixed grip, do you switch arms periodically?

Author:  js2003 [ Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:01 pm ]
Post subject:  I use a mixed grip ...

I have my right palm facing away from body and my left palm facing toward the body and I have never changed this grip

Author:  Jungledoc [ Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Do you jerk as you start the lift? I think it's good to put some tension on your arm as you set up, the start the lift with a smooth pull.

I'd start alternating the alternate grip. At first do only light weights for the opposite grip than you usually use.

Author:  Stephen Johnson [ Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I use a mixed grip ...

js2003 wrote:
I have my right palm facing away from body and my left palm facing toward the body and I have never changed this grip


I would say that your right elbow will have more stress placed on it if it is always in the supinated (palm away from the body) position. The tendency is to supinate the dominant hand and pronate the weaker hand in mixed grips. Is your right elbow the one that's sore now?

Jungledoc wrote:
I'd start alternating the alternate grip. At first do only light weights for the opposite grip than you usually use.


A good idea going forward. I think that I read somewhere that the mixed grip, when not varied between arms, can actually cause spinal imbalances. I don't know if that's true, but I prefer not to find out.

I use the hook grip, since I don't deadlift really heavy any more. Up to 365, no problems with it.

Author:  js2003 [ Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Thanks

i will alternate the grips

Author:  Jungledoc [ Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I use a mixed grip ...

Stephen Johnson wrote:
I think that I read somewhere that the mixed grip, when not varied between arms, can actually cause spinal imbalances. I don't know if that's true, but I prefer not to find out.

I use the hook grip, since I don't deadlift really heavy any more. Up to 365, no problems with it.
I think I read that the pronated arm's lateral biceps head is stretched more than on the supinated arm. The theory was that later when you lift heavy and change your grip, the lat head of the biceps on the arm that you usually supinate can rupture. It sounded far-fetched to me.

I also use hook grip. I don't lift as heavy as many guys do, but I can grip more weight with a hook grip than I can with alternate grip. I haven't used straps since I started using the hook grip.

Saw a guy in a Gold's Gym yesterday DLing 405 with a rounded back and a strange set-up. He knelt in front of the bar while he adjusted his straps, then stood up and pulled. My son later saw him using straps on several machines. Pretty strong to lift that way. Imagine what he could do with good form.

Author:  caangelxox [ Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

focus on lifting with your legs/butt and not your arms. That will feel much better and less pressure on your arms and shoulders. Also keep your shoulders down and relaxed. also start the bar right in front of your shins. Having the bar away from your shins is not good. You will not be able to lift as much weight and you have more risk of injury.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/