Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Too Much???
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:59 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hi All,

I am looking to burn away fat and get into gear with a short amount of time. I have been training with 30 mins spinning sessions M-F at 6am, and then 20mins weight training followed by 10 mins of slow walking around 6pm. I would like to bump it up and replace the 10 mins of walking with 30mins of more cardio (5-walk, 20 run, 5-walk). Is this going to be too much for my body to recover from if I do it Monday through Friday? I am training for the Military BTW, hence the dual cardio and weight lifting. I also do crunches/pushups/pullups at least once a day for 1 set. I've been slowly losing weight and am looking to pick up the pace and get my heart stronger by making this move. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:05 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Which service and what MOS (military occupation skill)? Also, what is your current physical condition as you may already be in shape for it depending on your MOS choice. Either way, I would lift weights first, then do the spin classes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:20 am 
Rookie
Rookie

USMC, no MOS yet as I am training to goto OCS. I am currently in decent shape but overweight by Military standards. I think I could definetly lose at least 20-30 more pounds. This would also help save my knees for longer runs. Primarily, my goal is weight loss and cardio, then weights, since I think I am strong enough for any event, however the cardio side will kick my rear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:27 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Nunya. I'm a retired Navy Cheif, and did time in the Army back in the early 70's. I would really advise you visit http://www.crossfit.com
and look around. Lots of military, police, firefighters and MMA types over there, and you can get descriptions of all the PFT's required. They also go after fitness in all aspects, bodyweight, maximal strength, strength endurance, and cardio. I was in so long ago, that I think the measuring and PFT's have changed dramatically. Good choice on OCS. Stay healthy
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:34 am 
Rookie
Rookie

If it's the "Corps" your looking to go into, then like you just said, "RUN."

If you can run your ass off, your good to go.