ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Knee and Tigh Fatigue
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:13 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I'm starting to get lots of fatigue in my knees and thighs, even though I only do one exercise (45deg Leg Press) on legs 3 times a week, does anyone think this might be from lack of recovery?

A typical week for legs is
Monday: Bike Ride 18km and Leg press
Tuesday: Bike Ride 24 km and a Basketball game
Wednesday: Bike Ride 18km and Leg Press
Thursday: Bike Ride 18km and a Volleyball Game
Friday: Bike Ride 18km and Leg press
Saturday: Nothing
Sunday: Bik Ride 6km and a Baskeetball Game

Next week I go to doing legs one day a week so hopefully that fixes it anyway!

Nutritionally I am having 2-3 Whey Protein Concentrate shakes a day and meals are normally 6" Chicken Strips Subway Sub with Lettuce, Tomato, Capsicum, Carrott, Onion and Honey Mustard no cheese for breakfast and lunch and probably a beef ravioli in tomato pasta sauce or steak with vegetables or chicken breast with vegetables for dinner, about 3 litres of water, 2-3 coffees with skim milk and no sugar and maybe 1 diet soft drink everyday (at last for the last 3 weeks).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:59 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

You're doing a lot of activity with your legs, and you only rest one day a week. You might need another rest day.

I don't know what kind of weights you're using with the leg press, but you might consider going to a heavy - light - moderate scheme, rather than trying to use the same amount of weight each workout.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:15 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah, try Johnson's suggested approach, I'm currently doing just that technique and it has helped with my quads. I imagine that you are training for a bike race of some sort as that is what my buddy does (he has same workout pretty much). Are you trying Ice therapy? In the middle of your week, ice your legs down real good, like using a ice tank or something (be creative, ie; bathtub, etc) and you should notice improved performance.

Also, try talking 3-5 days off after 3 months of that just incase you have micro tears in the fibers, you should be more than 100% after taking an extended break.
^I have read a few articles from various sources citing that a good week off can actually improve output due to repair of injuries/ other crap that the person was unaware of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Oh yeah, forgot to add, have you done massage therapy lately? I suggest once a month at minimum to help get rid of all the lactic acid build up in your muscles as stretching and water can only do so much. Again I have notice increased flexiblity and better recovery time after routinely getting muscles rubbed out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:52 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Thanks guys!

My routine was 4 sets with increasing weight decreasing reps, 12x175kg, 10x200kg, 8x225kg, 6x250kg.

I have massage every two months.

Was training for basketball/volleyball and weightloss, easy cardio cause it serves a purpose!

Haven't tried ice therapy yet.

Doesn't matter for a while now though, I came off my bike today and fractured the head of my left radius at the elbow! Will be out of heavy training for a while, won't be able to put weights on machine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:48 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Sorry to hear about the accident. Having fractured an arm once myself, I know that the healing process seems to take forever, but you'll pull through

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:46 am 
Novice
Novice

Just some thoughts...

Doing the legs only on the sled doesn't activate your stabalizers as much and the position your in is somewhat un-natural. Why not try some free-weight leg exercises, like squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc. I would think these exercises would give you the benefit of stronger knee joints, increased stablity, better overall strength distribution in the legs. You'll also be able to work varied ranges of motions. Doing a static lunge in an arc (think I saw that on crossfit) would help with improved strength through the range of motion as well.

Also, why not vary your cardio a bit more, even if your still working your legs, you'll be working them in different ways. Do you have access to a pool, lake or other body of water condusive to swimming?

Good luck with the injury, hate to hear things like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:22 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hey elemental,

I'm pretty limited by my gym, no free weights, smith machine only has about 120kg of weights that will fit and I can do that weight far too easy, plus smith machine limits stabilisers and ROM as well, also I was intending on going to a once a week, squat, leg press, leg extension, russian deadlift and calf raise program, this would combat the lack of ROM and low squat weight with increased isolation movements. I'm also building a home made squat rack that will double as a bench press bench for my garage, I already have about 200kg of weights, an adjustable bench, an olympic bar and dumbbells on lay-by!