ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:00 pm 
former lurker

I require both Pristiq and Wellbutron [generic] to fight my depression. Is there anything I should be aware of concerning the effect of these meds on my body's response to exercise? What is your experience with people on such meds? Do I need to adjust anything since my heart rate starts high [a side effect of the meds and of course my decreased activity level]?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The combination of those meds will inhibit the reuptake of dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine, thereby increasing their availability at the receptors.

I'm on Welbutrin, so I know from experience that has no effect. As far as the other one, exercise will still have the same effect as ever. I think the only difference may be that it will take longer for your heart rate to go back down do to inhibited reuptake. But I'm not a doctor so I can't say for sure. But if anything you might just need longer rest times. Your decreased activity level is probably a bigger factor. If you have issues with your heart rate during exercise, you might want to mention that side effect to your doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:38 pm 

Ironman gave a good reply. I'll just add that Pristiq is a form of a med that has been in use in the US for a long time, and has an excellent track record. I wouldn't expect it to have any effect on your training. I assume that you see your doctor periodically, and that your blood pressure is checked each time, and that it has been normal.

You are doing the right thing in seeking treatment for depression. It is real disease, and can't be wished or thought or willed away. I hope you are doing all you can to deal with any issues in your life; counseling can be a big help with depression, but isn't often the complete answer. Exercise and a good diet also help, so stick with those.

Thanks for bringing this up here. There are a lot of people with depression, and there are probably some on this forum who have wondered about their meds, but have preferred to not bring it up. There are a few of us who have shared that we either are currently or have in the past been on antidepressants. It's nothing to be embarrassed about or ashamed or. Just a fact of life. For me, they were a big help in bringing me through a hard time in my life a few years ago. I'd take them again without hesitation if I became depressed again.

Post subject: depression and meds
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:34 am 
former lurker

Thank you both for your wonderful responses. I admit to being a bit hesitant to ask the question for fear you might downplay my need for meds. I was ready to defend myself if necessary but you were both sensitive to my needs by sharing your own.
Oh and BTW, the exercise information was most helpful. Understanding that my heart rate may slow slowly is something I will be less concerned about.
I have turned to EPgists rather than to my MD since you focus on the body's physical response to exercise and activity. I assure you, you have given me a better answer than the Dr. who I do follow-up with regulary.
Jungledoc, thanks for the specific encouragement. Exercise is vital but the last piece I am adding to the puzzle. My depression is loooooong term. I chose initially to do the daily activities I was capable of rather than exercise. As I continue to improve, I am finally beginning to add the exercise component. Glad for a resource that will help make that transition safer.
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:22 pm 

Hang in there! Good luck with it all. Use every resource that you can access.