ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GVT questions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:00 am 

I've been thinking about changing my routine to GVT after this month to change from high intensity to high volume, probably modified Charles Poliquin's GVT. It would be seven-day cycles AXBXCXX, not five. Also I want to add conventional deadlift in it and it seems weird to do 10sets of 10reps hammer curls so I cut out the curl and throw in the deadlift. Does this look okay?

A
Squat 10x10
GM 10x10
Sit-up 3x10
Calf-raise 3x15

B
Bench 10x10
Row 10x10
Decline or Incline Bench 3x10 (I have no dip bar)
Pull-up or Chin-up 3xF

C
Press 10x10
Deadlift 10x10
Triceps Extension 3x10
Curl 3x10

And to make sure I don't misunderstand anything, the three-week phase after the first phase is suppose to be heavy isn't it? the 5 sets of 6-8 reps, or it is suppose to be the deload phase with light weight.

Thanks and Merry Xmas in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:35 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Others might disagree with my .02, but I think your modified split is fine, seeing as you are using a 7 day cycle vs Poloquin's 5 day thing. Should give you adequate rest between squats and deads, but listen to your body. I actually used a very similar split when I tried the thing out years ago, but instead of Deads and presses, I went with DB clean and press, but it's basically the same thing

As to the follow on, it is a heavy lower volume thing. 2-3 worlset in the 3-6 rep range with 85% or so of 1 RM. If you want a deload week, throw one in before starting the follow on phase.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:52 pm 

10x10 DL seems scary to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:57 pm 

I don't like doing working set deadlifts for more than one rep any more, personally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:45 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Deadlift 10x10 ..
Is that possible O.O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:02 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

For the deads I'd use straps if you have them when the sets get harder. That way you can keep going because your grip will give out (if it doesn't the weight is either too light or you're a beast) and the training won't be as effective. Or you could do Romanian DLs (less weight = grip gives out much later), good mornings (no grip required) or glute-ham riases (honestly, I've never done them but I think Poliquin added them in the original GVT? please correct me if wrong).

EDIT: sorry didn't see you already added good mornings on the first day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:50 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

sjonni wrote:
Deadlift 10x10 ..
Is that possible O.O

I do 5 x 10 deadlifts after a good 30 or so heavier deadlifts. I'm sure I could do another 5 x 10 if kept them light enough overall. So 10 x 10 doesn't seem that crazy.

If you don't get nuts on the weight you could do them just straight-up pronated grip, too, and you'll develop some good grip endurance, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:22 pm 

@ Wouter, yes, Poloquin does suggest DL's as an alternative to squats for the 10X10
@ 10 x 10 Dl's, I have done them at the suggested percentages and have had no problems. That said, though, when I was doing GVT w/ DB clean and Press on what would be your day 3, I modified it to 10X5 and kept the percentages up a bit so as to keep a moderately heavy day in the mix.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:02 pm 

What kind of benefits does GVT training have, exactly?

I see lots of people on this site talking about it and/or doing it themselves.

I've always been under the assumption that volume and intensity are negatively correlated.

Volume goes up, intensity goes down.

Intensity goes up, volume goes down.

With this high as a volume I would think intensity would be fairly low and unless you're training muscular endurance - wouldn't you want a higher intensity for size/strength gains?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:52 am 

I see the 5x10DL after heavy sets in 5/3/1 so I think 10x10DL shouldn't be much difference. I might be wrong so I'll try 10x10DL @60% 1RM, if the volume is too much for my lower back, I'll decrease it.

TimD wrote:
As to the follow on, it is a heavy lower volume thing. 2-3 worlset in the 3-6 rep range with 85% or so of 1 RM. If you want a deload week, throw one in before starting the follow on phase.
Tim

Doesn't the program recommend to do 4-6sets of 6-8reps in the follow on?

NightFall wrote:
What kind of benefits does GVT training have, exactly?
I want to know too, that's why I'll give it a try and find out. It would take 15 weeks before I go back to high intensity program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:40 am 

Poliquin reciommended 4-6 sets per group, not necessarily for exercise. I.E, your split might change, and instead of doing just one major compound per group, you might want to try using 2 or more exercises for that group, keeping total sets for the group at 4-6.

For the other poster, GVT is hypertrophy oriented, and as used as Poliquin describes, it's a form of periodization going from high volume, moderate intensity, more hypertrophy oriented and interchanging it with blocks of lower volue, higher intensity for more emphasis on strength.
Tim