ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:13 am 

what should I keep away from and what should I buy for learning new things, checking out different workouts, and stuff? Today at Ralphs I bought "Oxygen" and "HERS muscle & fitness" magazine for the first time. I am thinking about suscribing to those magazines.

I want to get more into the fitness, try different programs, and actually get slim, muscler, and fit like these girls. I am also thinking about actually becoming a personal trainer (major or minor) along with graphic design (if graphic design doesnt work out) and plus fitness is more fun than sitting at a computer trying to come up with ideas and stuff. I am not the best when it comes to ideas. I have been trying to become a graphic designer since 2006 (been at a junior college since 2004) and now its 2010, and I feel like my skills are not really improving much and people that are in their 3rd year, 2nd year, or even 1st year are WAY better than me. I am a horible drawer by hand and thumbnails are very sloppy. I am starting to think about giving up on graphic design and work on Kinesiology or still taking 1 art class and work on Kinesiology at the same time. This Spring semester is probably my last semester really focusing on art because I would have taken just about all the art classes I needed to transfer..and I re-took a few of them including fundamentals of drawing and digital art to improve my skills). The Spring semester I am going to try and challange myself with harder classes and see if I can keep up and do them. rendering, fundamentals of color, indesign (no idea how to use the indesign program, so that is going 2b new for me).

in the summer, I am going to take anatomy if they offer it and then fall of 2010 I will take 1 graphic design class (challanging class and this will let me know if graphic design is actually for me or not), anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of chemestry (in order to take A&P I have to be in concurrent arollment with a chemestry class or already took it). or I can take chemestry in summer..it all depends. also I would take a person fitness trainer class too. I would like to become a personal trainer/PE teacher, etc.

fitness books I own...
athletec body in balance by gray cook
assess & correct
Inside Out dvd
Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey
The Anatomy of Stretching by Brad Walker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:38 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

My book recommendations are pretty short:

- Practical Programming for Strength Training and Starting Strength, by Lon Kilgore and Mark Rippetoe.

- 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler. Really, a worked example of programming/periodization, but it's a very good example.

- Whatever text is used for the CPT test you plan to pass. I chose the NSCA, because it is widely respected, requires continuing education, and because it's valid in Japan for when I move back there. So I got their textbook and studied and memorized that.

There are a lot of other things you can read, but I'd start there. You should have enough information at that point to know what subjects you need reinforcing and which you don't need to work on.

I'd avoid just about every magazine on the shelves for workout advice. It's filtered down from the basic texts and put into a sexy, cut-down form to appeal to shoppers. They aren't a good measure of what is a good program or not, and you'll learn more by spending the subscription money on a CPT exam textbook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:30 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I see New Rules of Lifting and Starting Strength recommended all over the place. I'll second Wendler's 531 program. I also own Muscle Revolution by Chad Waterbury.

Here is one of the things I've noticed. Most books are written for the beginner. You get chapters upon chapters of the same basic information. You end up paying $20.00 a book to gain about 2 chapters of knowledge. I would look into and try different programs - olympic lifting, West Side, Sheiko, etc. The information you will get is on how these systems are supposed to work. Like I said, don't just read them, try them as well.